El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen any info on what the behind the seats/ buckets looks like. Package tray , curtain , spare tire. Any info out there on this

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The spare tire sits behind the passenger seat. It sits upright flat against the rear wall. There is a "J" hook that sticks out from the back wall, goes thru the wheel center and then the jack base slides over the hook. A large wing nut screws on the "J" hook and secures it all. The jack itself is stored behind the tireat floor level.

Driver side has just the storage bin. I've never seen any type of curtain, but have one on mine.

I'm sure google can find photos that would explain better than my words. 68-72 are all the same.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Rick is right about the stickers, I took pictures of mine before I started re doing it. I have been looking for the photos, I will post them when I find them, If my memory is correct there was tire pressure, jack storage and one other.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also in search of behind the seat pics as well. Looking at adding speakers, amp, and the storage box. My tires are too wide to mount behind the passenger seat, so i'll figure the spare situation later. Anyone see pics of this done? Still doing searches...

·
Premium Member
4,124 Posts
My spare is on a 15 inch rally wheel and a narrower tire.
This lets it fit better.
I choose a diameter of the tire which is very close to the 255 55 17 tire rim combination.
I took the approach that the spare is only for temporary use, sort of like we do with donuts.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
They put the spare tire there for a couple reasons. These cars are very well balanced as far as weight goes, that spare tire in that area helps balance the side to side weight. In the Corvette, they shifted the motor slightly to the passenger side. Chevy always did little things like this to be ahead of the pack.. Ever notice how the starter, fuel pump, battery are all on the passenger side to balance the cars weight..

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
They put the spare tire there for a couple reasons. These cars are very well balanced as far as weight goes, that spare tire in that area helps balance the side to side weight. In the Corvette, they shifted the motor slightly to the passenger side. Chevy always did little things like this to be ahead of the pack.. Ever notice how the starter, fuel pump, battery are all on the passenger side to balance the cars weight..
ALPryor, I know I am a little late w/ this and that's because I was still working on rear wall of my 71, I,ll post a couple of finished pictures and I have a bunch of pictures of construction of back wall that I could send anyone who wants them. In short I cut to fit angle of back wall 2 4 X 4's on table saw. I use a couple of specialty adapters to go in large holes across rear in raised support. Then I drilled a couple of holes in wood and bolted them to wall. YOU MUST BE SURE OF LENGTH TO BACK WALL or you'll dent rear panel. I then epoxy glued a pc of MDF under shelf to create a mounting tab for MDF wall. I then bought two door panels for 71 and cut to fit. My idea was to bring door panel design into rear wall to make it seem GM did it this way. It was great place to mount speakers. There is a LOT of work getting the MDF panel to align w/ Plastic corner panels. I had bought a couple yards of door panel material and found the plastic chrome trim and was gonna follow door panel chrome into corner and then back wall. I have not tackled that yet maybe later when I am done w/ Elky. This was one of set backs that kept me from 60th anniv.
I sure how everyone likes the idea and I welcome comments of any kind. I feel like sharing my ideas so people can maybe ad to them for better finish.
Thanks and you all have a Merry Xmas,Tony

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
That is a very good idea for a way to mount speakers. And I love the door panel look.

I was planning to take a few pictures tonight on what I'm doing with B-pillar covers behind each seat. I could not get my original GM passenger compartment B-pillar plastic covers to fit over my modern retractable seat belt reels. I have to go a different direction for the sides but I love what you have done at the back wall.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Rick,Look close and you'll see it. Missed my Hot Dog at 60th! have a great Xmas Everyone. Mike & 052 thanks for help this year.
Tony

·
Registered
53 Posts
Very nice work. Drivers side.....what is the momentary rocker switch for?
Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
that is for actuator that lifts smugglers box lid.
Got it. I figured that was the intended use. I was considering that mod to the smugglers box but i'm still deciding if i'll do a tonneau cover or not. Also looking at a Rino-lining which wouldn't work with the actuator lift or at best be difficult to do. I was hoping to seal off the bed and prevent water from entering that area. So many decisions!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts