El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Got it. I figured that was the intended use. I was considering that mod to the smugglers box but i'm still deciding if i'll do a tonneau cover or not. Also looking at a Rino-lining which wouldn't work with the actuator lift or at best be difficult to do. I was hoping to seal off the bed and prevent water from entering that area. So many decisions!
I do not think you can keep water out unless you seal lid before rhino lining. I just made sure my drain plugs
Got it. I figured that was the intended use. I was considering that mod to the smugglers box but i'm still deciding if i'll do a tonneau cover or not. Also looking at a Rino-lining which wouldn't work with the actuator lift or at best be difficult to do. I was hoping to seal off the bed and prevent water from entering that area. So many decisions!
got cut off, anyway good luck w/ your project. left you a pic. have a good day

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I do not think you can keep water out unless you seal lid before rhino lining. I just made sure my drain plugs

got cut off, anyway good luck w/ your project. left you a pic. have a good day
Tony. Where did you get the actuator from and what did you use for a seal on the panel?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I will get you name today for actuator and where I got it. as far as sealing lid I used a peel and stick soft weatherstrip around edge of lid. when actuator auto closes it gives an extra little tug. I am hoping it seals it pretty good. If you look at picture you can see strip on lid. talk to ya soon.
tony

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
A.Mcgovern, here's the info on actuator. I am using an AutoLoc Lad-8 sku 141902 the dimensions are total length 15.75 in.retracted , Stroke 8. in. You will have to buy the relays, mounting brackets. the Acuator comes w/the receiver to auto program how far up & down you want it to operate. Once set you push one button. It has up & down arrows on it. you push it once and it will stop where you set it and once down and it auto shuts perfectly. You'll have to play w/ sensitivity adjustments but instructions are great and show you everything. I bought mine f/ Summit Racing back in June 2014. The prices then were actuator $167.36, relays $41.64 & brackets $12.97. You will also have to buy a brass piano hinge (2) and end up cutting them so they are equal size for each side (home depot) then drilling the 1/4 holes w/all stainless hardware nut,bolts & lockwashers. Once installed and door closed you'll never see hinge. You will have to weld side to panel and bolt to lip on body in rear. You'll also have to weld some square stock around panel to get it ridgid & strong. If you do this and you want some tips I can email you tips from drawings I did and pictures I took during assembly.
I took elky to chevy dealer last week to visit my parts guy and everyone was all over truck but best part was when I pressed button and lid auto opened. nobody ever seen that.
Wish you the best if you do it.
Tony

21 - 25 of 25 Posts