El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at a '72 el Camino locally here. The car seems pretty solid, U code VIN, has a 454 in it now.

I know that opinions on these cars are very subjective, but I would like to get some feedback on what you think this is worth.

1972 el camino, badged as an SS, U code VIN (402 motor), turbo 400, 12 bolt 3.31 posi. Body seems pretty solid, floors OK, bed OK, underneath and wheel wells not in bad shape. Dash has tach & gauges. 15x7 ralley wheels. AC works. All glass good.

See attached pictures.

In your opinion, what is this worth the way it is?

I have done some research on what these are worth completely re-done.

Feedback guys! :)

Bruce

Attachments

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple more pics.

Attachments

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
Just judging by the pics, 3,500 to 5k at the very most. And that's assuming it runs and drives. Engine bay looks to have at least benefitted from a rattle can or two. Interior looks decent. Exterior is definitely the weakest link. I fear the primer job, as that is what is usually done to hide bad bodywork.

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just judging by the pics, 3,500 to 5k at the very most. And that's assuming it runs and drives. Engine bay looks to have at least benefitted from a rattle can or two. Interior looks decent. Exterior is definitely the weakest link. I fear the primer job, as that is what is usually done to hide bad bodywork.
It runs and drives, hard to start, needs a battery. I understand and have been bitten before by the issues behind primer.

I looked at a '70 SS, AC, buckets, and has a 350. It is in much worse shape than the '72 and the guy is pretty firm at $7900. I passed on that one.

I talked to the guy on the '72. He is down to $5300. Got to think on it but I think I can get it for $5000.

Base color on the cowl tag is code 56, Cream Yellow.

Attached is a pic of the cowl tag. I got the VIN and the 6th digit is U, so it was originally a 402 motor car.

What can I check to see to validate that it is an original SS car? Is it like the '69 Camaro's which only SS's had the dual fuel lines to the gas tank on the passenger side of the frame? Anything like that which would give more credability to it being an original SS car?

Attachments

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
On a '72, the only sure fire way to determine a real SS is with a build sheet. The only help from the VIN is it will tell you if it is origianlly a big block or not. If it was a big block car, then it's still not necessarily an SS, but the chances are better than if it was just a small block from the factory.

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I missed out on this one, got sold to someone willing to pay more than I thoght it was worth. :frown2:

Got a lead on a '68, not an SS but has an SS hood, 350/350 Turbo, VERY nice shape and VERY solid. A bit more than the '72, but no body or paint work. I have a real nice 427 (512 block) that would fit it nicely!

Stay tuned! :)

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Gauges??

Can you tell if the gauges have been added later in the car's life. Only the '72 SS had the type gauges in this car, and it's a pretty good investment to change them out. The change-out might have left marks on the dash Bezel, or around the lower front edge of the Dash Pad. Look for tell-tale marks on and around the fasteners for signs of a change out, also on the steering column attachment points, as it has to be lowered to remove the Bezel and instrument panel. If it has been changed, there will be evidence - my opinion.......................Ken :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts