El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK somehow my starter came loose and when i was starting it it broke the starter housing and the starter fell and like some of the wiring got burnt. well now i cant get everything to work properly again. I been trying to find a site that shows what all the wires do that go down to the starter. there is a BIG RED WIRE, A BIG PURPLE WIRE, black wire, yellow wire, and a orange wire. what i thought was the PURPLE AND RED WIRE goes to the cylenoid terninal where the POSITIVE BATTERY WIRE GOES. The Yellow Wire to the signal on the cylenoid. Not sure about the black and orange wire though. Can anyone help me out with a simple way to hook up my new starter? Also once i get it to start and run i have a electronic distributor that i wasnt to use in place of my original points. maybee if somone has an easy howto on this also!
thanks
rich

·
Registered
96 Posts
i think the big purple may go the the S terminal on the starter soinoid

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Purple to the "S" terminal, yellow to the "I" terminal all others should be connected to the battery post of the solenoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will try that setup

yes thanks guys for info .. i will try that today and let u know! makes since .. but there are so man wires lol. ima have to pull started out then and make sure s and i terminals are hooked up corrrect!
thanks let u know
rich

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, be glad you are not in the mess im in. i have the entire dash out of a 95 aurora with the door lock wires smoked through the harness from 1 door to the other. hopefully i can have it done sometime this week so i can sell it for elky cash! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW .. glad im not in ure shoes :)

Wow .. that sucks bad . hopefully u figure it all out .. well starter works like a charm i got car to start up after sitting for 2 years ! WEWT! i have a electronic distributor for it also ! im gonna attempt to install it .. any sugestions ? i know in my datsun if u run power from ignition to + coil and wire from + coil to distributor and a wire from - coil to distributor! is it similar on elco ?

thanks
rich

·
Registered
96 Posts
if its HEI coil in cap then all you need is to run ignition power to the batt. terminal on the cap

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

yea i figured out that today when i was inspecting the dist. it has a hei coil and stuff in cap. i hooked what use to go to the + of coil to the B+ on the cap and it runs like a dream!

Finally this damn thing is out of the garage! 4 years it has been sitting in there.
thanks
rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts