El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, finally day 1! I have been waiting so long to get started working on her. I got her into a storage unit this week.

I started by stripping off the vinyl and to my surprise, i was not as bad as I had feared. There were still some holes, but I think there fixable, I was afraid I was going to have to replace the hole roof:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know how big my posts can be so I separated it into separate posts.
Next I took off the stock A/C unit and windshield wiper motor.Then I cleaned out the cowl, I was having fun while doing it:
Me in the empty engine compartment.

Then we moved inside. I took out the seats to get a better look at the floors and dash, cause im replacing it with an SS one anyway.
Drivers side

Driver side rear

Driver side front

Storage compartment behind the driver seat

Inside

Passenger side

Pass. side front

Pass. side rear

My amazing husband helping me :)

Dash pad removed, with some cracks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ramdom pin we found sticking out of the dash. Questions questions :???:

Then removed rocker covers and put them in a safe place

When we were all done inside, we looked more at the body itself. There is a lot of body filler on both quarter panels so we decided to look what was underneath in one spot. Here is what we found:

We found that it looked like the car had been in an accident of hit on the front, driver side at one point:

Pass. side

Driver side

We also found some rust on the pass. side front of the frame. We're gana take the frame off and take it to a frame place to fix the hole and check to make sure its straight. Just in case.

We also looked at what I have for fount suspension and what condition it was in

Well, Im gana keep the car as it is for right now so I can get the new floors in so the body won't twist. Then I think Im gana pull the frame off. Its a start!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the miss typings. I can spell for the life of me.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,961 Posts
I think I have the GM parts & Illustration catalog for the 71-77 years ! If you would like to buy it ? & help with the restoration !! Like this one !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure! How much you want for it? and any help would be welcome!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,961 Posts
I will check my storage unit for it !! I'll try to go there this weekend !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank yo so much!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
go girl..:beer: if it looks like those warbirds when your done? it'll be sweet..
Accually, "Sweet Slumber" was the name of my grandfathers B-17
he was a co-plot for in WWII. He is why I am working on warbirds. His plane was shot down before it could be panted and his nose art could be panted on the nose. so im going to pant it silver, like polished aluminum, and put his nose art on the front finders over the wheels. I might put is squadron tail markings on the querterpanels but im not sure yet. and the SS dash has round gages like the instrument panel in the 17. I just wish I could find something for the shifter. Im also putting the POW MIA flag on the rear window.
Im doing this to honor Gramps (thats what call my grandfather) and every war veteran and soldiers how gave there lives in every war. Thank you to all veterans who are reading this!! Thank you for my live and my freedom!!!

I do consept drawings of whatever Im working on so I can get a good picture of what I want. Ill be putting "Sweet Slumber"s up soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OOPS, I didn't format my first post right, Im sorry! I just read that "Read First Before Posting" entry. Do I need to start over? Or post it now? Im sorry, I should have read it. I didn't even see it, I was just so excited about posting my work. I am so sorry!!!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Very nice. You are getting a lot done.

I like the theme of this build.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,620 Posts
Love the concept you're working towards. My Great Uncle was a ball turret gunner in a B-17, so I can relate. Glad you're going to build a tribute to the B-17 crews that helped win WW II. :You_Rock:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good pics, shows overall condition well. I believe I'd be putting a roof skin on it though, that rust is coming from the underside, it's gonna be hard to keep it from coming back. Would be less labor to replace it too and oh so much more thorough.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts