El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed all components, changed alignment, changed steering box (twice)two shops are puzzled..

Steering has a loose spot at the neutral (center) position. Can the 235/60/15's in the front be the issue? I am really frustrated. :dontknow:

PS: anyone know a good front end shop in South Houston or Galveston county that can help?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I assume you mean the car is sensitive to longitudinal ridges and crests in roadway surfaces giving the vehicle a darty feeling.

There are a number of possible reasons for this, many of which would be resolved by replaced componants - Idler arms, tie rod ends, ball joints. bushings are all obvious culprits.

I believe 72 is the last year for short spindles which would mean you have a limited ability to adjust caster, caster is the self centering ability of the your front suspension and is essentially the lean of the spindle when viewed from the side of the car.

The more caster you can crank into the car the more stable it will feel at speed.

Believe it or not other possibilities are low tire pressure, unequal tire pressures, unevenly worn tires.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
How about the steering shaft and rag joint?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I've seen plenty of "new" steering boxes that were loose and required a little adjustment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen plenty of "new" steering boxes that were loose and required a little adjustment.
Thanks for the replies. As posted, three different steering boxes have been used and adjusted many ways, alignment has been tweaked three times and front end has been rebuilt. Rag joint is new, changed out original bad steering with flaming river steering, and tire pressure is solid. Can a rear end problem cause this? :dontknow:

PS: Car drifts in center steering position no matter what the surface is like. This problem is somewhat like what we call "bump steer" at the drag strip.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Are your rear trailing arms boxed or reinforced? Are they rusted or on sloppy bushings? If the rear is moving around it could be the cause. You might also measure the clearance from rear tires to inside of fenders to see if they are similar.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Are your rear trailing arms boxed or reinforced? Are they rusted or on sloppy bushings? If the rear is moving around it could be the cause. You might also measure the clearance from rear tires to inside of fenders to see if they are similar.
I agree --- and I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned the rear yet either. The bushings on my original uppers were totally shot. That was causing the axle to crab slightly.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
The OEM arms were inadequate when new. Way too flexible. Years of rust and stress makes them very weak. The stock bushings on tops and bottoms must be shot by now after 40 tears.
You can buy all kinds of boxed or reinforced arms or hd tubular ones like I did.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What kind of tires are you running?

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Then i would lean toward a bad steering box. Had ome that was very sensitive over center changed steering box and issue disappeared cheers

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Then i would lean toward a bad steering box. Had one that was very sensitive over center changed steering box and issue disappeared cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts