El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at some guys field today raking it, and i noticed in the barn was an el camino. When i saw him later in the day he said it was a 1972 SP Sprint, only 100 of them made, and it had a 385hp small block. I was wondering if this guy was pulling my leg or if there is some truth behind it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Evening Eric. Yes, they are rare. Looks like only 749 were produced for that year. That is a count for all SP's (equal to the SS) with all SB and BB motors, with and without the cowl hood. Depending the motor/tranny combo, the owner could be accurate about the count.

What kind of shape was it in? Original motor? Did he want to sell it?

Sure would love to see it, but that left coast is a little far for this right coast boy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was just sitting in the shed behind his plane, i noticed it had a boxes on the canopy, i didn't get close enough to see how good of condition it was in. I never asked him if he wanted to sell it, but by looking at the rest of his stuff he sorta looks like a pack rat

·
Registered
266 Posts
Are you gonna buy it? Then again if he's thinking that there was only 100 made and he's a pack rat,no matter what the condition,he might want a fortune.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ElkyPete said:
A Plane!? How big was this field you were raking, did it look like an airstrip?
yeah, he actually has a landing strip right next to the field(which is probably 30 acres) and you don't dare drive on it or he'll chew you a new one.

I don't plane on buying it unless the price was right. i'd imagine he'd want a pretty penny for it. And i already have plans for mine :twisted:

·
Registered
224 Posts
There were a lot more than 100 1972 Sprint SPs.... Do a Google Search for Dan Carr (i believe he is a member here too, he owns several elkys including a couple sprints) he did a 68-72 GM a-body totals poster that has the production total numbers on it...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here's the total i found here on our good ol' necoa website.

1972 GMC Sprint SP (Sprint Production: 6,473)
1971 GMC Sprint SP (Sprint Production: 5,536)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hi Chris. Not sure if there were that many "SP" Sprints made. When I used the figure of 749 "SP" Sprints for 1972, I was going by Dan Carr's poster that Ben (AHSOM70) was referencing. It is quite extensive and shows the breakdown of production numbers by "SP" and standard models, and even broke it down by engine / transmission plus with and without the Cowl hood option. It is a great reference, plus it looks fantastic.

I would venture to say that a GMC Sprint SP is a pretty rare find.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. I always enjoy learning from you guys.

·
Registered
165 Posts
In 1972, the only small block close to 385 hp was the LT-1 which was in the Corvette @ 360 hp...The best Sprint 350 in 1972 was a 270 hp motor.

There was a 365 hp 454 available. That's not to say he didn't have the motor modified to put out those numbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts