El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local NAPA today and asked them to order in some brake drums they have 2 listings , one for a cheverolet rear end and the other is for pontiac axles any idea how to check which drums I need ? any idea how to tell the difference of the cutout axle cover and round axle cover ?

IMPORTANT INFO: w/ Pontiac Axle,Must Be Replaced In Pairs,w/ Cutout Axle Cover

IMPORTANT INFO: Must Be Replaced In Pairs,Chevrolet Bolt Pattern,Round Axle Cover

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm confused. You need brake drums for your Chevrolet El Camino and NAPA says they have drums for a Chevrolet and a Pontiac.

Doesnt that mean you need the drums for a Chevrolet?
according to napa ,el caminos came with 2 different types of axles ,chevy and pontiac , I would think the chevrolet brake drums would be the way to go , but I just wanted to make sure and to know if anyone had a clue because I had never heard of pontiac axles on an el camino.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
i assume were talking about a 10 bolt?? look at the cover on the back of the rear end..:texas:
the chevy rear end cover was round or mostly round,,
and the BOP rear covers had a half moon cutout on each side,, in the middle where the axel tube is..
may be what there talking about?? :dontknow:

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i assume were talking about a 10 bolt?? look at the cover on the back of the rear end..:texas:
the chevy rear end cover was round or mostly round,,
and the BOP rear covers had a half moon cutout on each side,, in the middle where the axel tube is..
may be what there talking about?? :dontknow:
It has the chevy cover ,its an 8.2 10 bolt , I didn't think that they used the BOP rear end but hey it is chevy and they have done weirder things , I bet you Chevy put one BOP rear end in an el camino on a late friday afternoon and now napa lists it as an option

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
actually:dontknow: i think the beaumont was a pontiac elcamino,,
dont know much about them, but seems like i read they were built in Canada??:dontknow:
that maybe why they list it like that??
google the beaumont..
down here they usually just want the diameter and width on the drums..:texas:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
my 72 sprint has chevy rears on her...don't mean yours do but it might help

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
the beaumont was a pontiac chevelle car type not a el camino if i am not mistaken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts