El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I'm very new to digging on numbers to see if they match etc. so I am hoping I can get some help here.

I am trying to figure out if the engine I have (454) came out of the car it came in. The numbers I have are: VIN on title: 1D80Y3K514381, cast numbers on motor: GM 10T and 12978.

I found an area on the block where the heads mount to the block that looks like it should be the tab where the vin should be stamped, but it's smooth with no numbers/letters. I had some work done to the motor and was thinking maybe they ground the tab smooth when doing the work.? Anybody know anything about that/have experience with that?

As always, I am very grateful for any and all information. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Hey All, I'm very new to digging on numbers to see if they match etc. so I am hoping I can get some help here.

I am trying to figure out if the engine I have (454) came out of the car it came in. The numbers I have are: VIN on title: 1D80Y3K514381, cast numbers on motor: GM 10T and 12978.

I found an area on the block where the heads mount to the block that looks like it should be the tab where the vin should be stamped, but it's smooth with no numbers/letters. I had some work done to the motor and was thinking maybe they ground the tab smooth when doing the work.? Anybody know anything about that/have experience with that?

As always, I am very grateful for any and all information. Thank you in advance.
1= Chevrolet Division -D= El Camino custom -80=2 door pick up delivery - Y= V8 454 4 barrel carb - 3= 1973 -K= Leeds, Mo. 514381 production sequence . Look at your cowl tag on the firewall & post#s for more info .

·
Registered
952 Posts
Its very common to have the engine code and the cars VIN ground off when the block is decked. If you have a matching numbers car make sure your engine builder understands not to grind the numbers off.

Some factories stamped the VIN adjacent to the oil filter in addition to the right side below the head. Later models had the vin above the water pump between the heads. The engine casting date code should be near the bell housing on the passenger side. Date should be up to 3 months before vehicle assembly date. 3-6 weeks is common although dates up to six months beforehand are not unheard of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts