1 - 20 of 269 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i put a 73 laguna front on my 77

is it a direct replacement?
will i need a new hood?fenders?

also dose any one make a roll pan for this vehicle?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did the search it said a laguna front end from the same year can be done. thats the only answer i found i want to know what i can do for a 73 front on my 77

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey k0d1ak -

my son and I are doing the same thing on his '77 Elky. We got a Laguna front nose from a '73 model (the flat ones), but didn't get any mounting brackets with it, and the '77's bumper mounts don't match up at all. Have you gotten any feedback yet from anyone on this modification?

We are gonna do a roll pan too. I've been looking at the ZR-1 Corvette roll pans available for Chevy trucks - think that may work with some effort....

·
Registered
734 Posts
man, the pans make all the difference in those 4th gens...getting rid of the gawd-awful bumpers does wonders.... :thumbsup:

I wish Chevy had made them all that way... 8)

·
Registered
300 Posts
While I can't help with the details, I did see this '73 Elky w/ Laguna & roll pan. I thought it came out good enough to keep some pictures of it.
Yeah, it was that white '73 that was our insiration to go ahead with our plans. Saw the pics you had posted of it in the member's cars section and loved it. That car is beautiful.....

I agree that the 4th gen cars had hidious bumpers and as soon as we got the car we knew they had to go.

We're taking the car to our body guy in a couple of weeks, so we'll be working out the Laguna front clip mounting and roll pan situation over the next couple of months.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
While I respect your opinion's that you guys don't like the 4th gen bumpers, I'm kinda on the fence on this one. On one hand, they "ARE" overly large. That I do agree. When I first got my '73, both bumpers were faded and an eyesore. This past winter, after some time and $$$ at the rechrome shop, I'm liking them more and more. Some pic's of the results..

When I saw that white '73 w/ the Laguna and rear roll pan, I just loved it. I'd love to do another '73 and do the same Laguna/rear roll idea. I did contact the owner and he custom made the rear roll pan. He has talent that I could never match. I'd have to have a professional do it.

Please post pictures of your progress. I'd like to see it.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
a73elkyss said:
He has talent that I could never match. I'd have to have a professional do it.
It's not a big step. Just buy the roll pan for a newer Chevy Truck, cut it in the center, take equal amounts off each side until your roll pan is the correct width. Or add equal amounts to each side bond it back using fiberglass and repaint. It is pretty simple. Or you could order one for a 5th gen, Lauren Engineering Makes them for the 5th gens. It would only need to be cut down a little bit.

Anyway Good Luck

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Good points Pete. I'm pretty sure there is going to be another Elky or two in me before all is said and done. I'd like to have one that I could try your tips on. Maybe down the road it will happen.

For now, I think I'll keep my present one in it's present form.

Thanks again! :cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
ElkyPete said:
It's not a big step. Just buy the roll pan for a newer Chevy Truck, cut it in the center, take equal amounts off each side until your roll pan is the correct width.
That's exactly the approach we'll be taking. There are several companies offering ZR-1 Corvette roll pans for Chevy trucks that I'm sure could be adapted with a little elbow grease (I like the ZR-1 style as it retains the dual tail light-in-bumper look of the 4th gens...)

The only concern I have is getting it to match the inward curvature of the lower fender sections of a 4th gen (as viewed from the rear) - if you take your bumper off you'll see what I mean. Also, the "indents" in the fenders for the stock bumpers will have to be addressed as well. Ahh...customizing...!!

I'll post up some pics here in this thread of our progress on this part of our project as we move along.

·
Registered
300 Posts
a73elkyss said:
Check out this fine looking NOS Laguna grill on eBay. Very impressive.
Thanks for that link - I am looking for a nice grill as the Laguna nose we picked up didn't come with a grill. I lost out on another auction for one this past weekend, so I'll have to keep an eye on this one....looks brand new 8)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
mayhem wrote:
so I'll have to keep an eye on this one....looks brand new
Yes, it IS brand new. NOS is NOS brother. I'd also follow the hit counter under the picture to gauge how popular it is. I'm not sure of the value of one of these, but I've seen crappy one's go for $150 - $175, and then they have to be replated.

It ends Saturday at around 1:30 am EST ??? A very strange end time. Might be tough to snipe bid, if your into that type of thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
a73elkyss said:
I'm not sure of the value of one of these, but I've seen crappy one's go for $150 - $175, and then they have to be replated.
Yeah, and to think I was outbid on one this weekend that ended up selling for .... $12 + shipping........ :cry:

They said it had no cracks, was in good shape, and I'm sure it would've needed a replate as you said, but for 12 bucks.........

·
Registered
300 Posts
Does anyone know if the '73 models were equipped with the energy-absorbing bumpers, or did that begin in '74?

·
Registered
300 Posts
a73elkyss said:
YES, energy-absorbing bumpers started in '73. Both front and rear have them.
OK then, that brings my next question - what about Lagunas - was the heavy rubber of the bumper/nose section considered the "energy absorber" for those cars (meaning they were "hard-mounted" to the frame), or did they also have the shock absorber cylinders of the steel bumper models?

Just trying to sort thru this mounting stuff, as the '73 Laguna nose we got didn't come with the frame mounts...just the integrated "female" steel brackets in the nose section itself. (see pics I've taken of this).

Thanks, Jay, for your replies here....can you maybe shed any light on the Laguna mounting??

Stock '77 bumper mount with gas/oil cylinder

Laguna nose mount 1 - looking from top

Laguna nose mount 2 - straight-on from behind

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Sorry Daniel. Excellent question, but for the Laguna, I can't find any info in my books to help answer the question. Great pictures of your parts. Maybe someone else can add some expertise. I always hesitate to advise on something that I have not done or do not have any documentation for.

I'm not sure how a Laguna front end would absorb an impact.

1 - 20 of 269 Posts