El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 73 Sprint and I'm just getting to know her, trying to learn all I can and looking for a bit of guidance and help.

VIN Number is 5D80K3K502534

From what I have been able to figure out myself I've learned she is Sprint Custom (No idea yet what that means), with a V8 4BBl engine made in Leeds Missouri. Have no idea what to make of the sequential production number 502534

I'd like to know a lot more if I can, I plan to purchace the vintage info pack for 50 bucks. Trouble is not only do I not yet know how to decode some of the info plates, I don't even know where to find them.

Some info I would really like to find out is the original paint color of my car, its been repainted at least once I can tell, I'm also told the engine is original and would like to verify that. I'd really like to find out the month in 1973 that my car was made. Here in Missouri if you can obtain antique plates from the model year of your vintage car you can register those plates as your tags for your car. I have plenty of access to antique plates from 73 and they all also have the month stamped on them as well, would like to get a set that reflects my cars manufacture month.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge

Take Care

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats very cool. I've been reading here about people finding little treasures like that in their cars. I'm in Springfield Missouri and actually picked mine up just a few hundred miles from the site where it was manufactured.

I'm kinda interested in the genealogy of my car as much as restoring it. I've already accounted for the last 20 years of its life, going to get the big info kit thats available once I have the dough (paid for the car this payday) then I'm going to try and map out its first 20 years.

"Supposedly" mine only had 97K miles on it when the engine was rebuilt then only 17-18K after, would be interesting to find it's never really left the area.

What exactly is that and where did you find it?

Take Care

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
There should be a Body number plate located on the right or left of the firewall below the rear edge of the hood ! It will have alot of codes for you !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another '73 that was built in MO. Very interesting.

To give you an idea of what the data plate looks like, here's a shot of mine.

It's under the hood on the passenger side; assuming that the sprint has the same location as the El Camino.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay. It reads:

_____BODY BY FISHER_____
ST 73 1AD80 K 237276__BDY
TR 704 A52____11 26___PNT
_____07A04____0535
________XX

I'm going to restore it imminently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts