El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm in the process of putting a/c back into my 1975 Sprint. The car is a factory a/c car. I'm curious if anyone knows about a gasket or appropriate sealant to affix the box of the firewall? Also, can anyone share an "a/c system" walk through? I've got a mess of parts and a good idea of where they all go, but any additional info or expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Good luck! I ripped all mine out and went aftermarket on the heater, and uh, 'natural' on the AC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mike, thanks for your reply. Part of wanting to get the box back on is just to make the car more drive able, so getting the ac totally working isn't necessarily the top priority. Did the kit you used come with necessary gaskets or sealants?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Nope, the kit I used completely eliminated the stock setup. It was just a heater core and blower motor all in one. I sealed up all those holes and such in the firewall and mounted it inside the cab. Ridiculously easy to install, but not something I'd recommend if you're wanting to keep it stock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't use silicone unless you never intend to remove it again!!

I used a double row of strip caulk around the perimeter and then cleaned off the excess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Say, now that Butyl Rubber Glue isn't such a bad idea. Plus I already have a roll of it laying around. I'll have to give it a shot!

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Auto zone this is the best and never gets hard. It's on my heater box cover and firewall and it's sealed and still soft 3-years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts