El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I put in my new regulator, and was putting everything back together when I realized something.

I am missing a piece. Specifically the piece that connects to my window.

I'm guessing that white piece sat against the spring, a roller was on the other side, and that went into the guide. Any idea where to get a replacement of these? Every one I've found seems to be for the other guides.

· Registered
371 Posts
2X you beat me to it. As long as you have something similar to copy.

You can get material from McMaster Carr. It's a lot cheaper than running all over trying to find something. Most machine
shops will,have some too.

· Registered
519 Posts
I ended up popping the roller off a 73 version and using it. It wasn't exactly the same--the lip was a tad longer, but it seemed like it would function. It doesn't roll very well, or at all, but it seems to move well enough in the channel. We will see how long it holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,538 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
Hi Sharon, and welcome.

I posted more detail about my solution at another site. The info is near the bottom of the thread.
http://www.g3gm.com/t10820-door-window-question

The basic answer is that no-one makes an exact repro. Dorman and another manufacturer were entirely uninterested in my requests for selling me the roller only off of their 68-72 repro versions--it is the correct roller, but not correct stud. I found an 83 Regal in the JY that used the stud/roller combo that you can buy. I popped the roller off at the JY, but it left a little indentation in the roller when I did. So I got the stud of my 73 parts car and using some straight tool popped the roller straight upward so it didn't distort at all. Remember to put some grease in it before popping it onto your old stud. So far it has worked without a problem. I found that greasing the short horizontal channel in the middle of the door eased all the difficulty and sound of the window rolling up or down, which probably also helps keep pressure off the little rollers.

I feel that using one of those repro rollers, like Dorman 74407, without the spring and guide setup, would likely work without a problem.

Also, for the crazy window nut tool, I'm pretty sure I could have used the spanner wrench that came with my grinder, but I never could find it. Making one was not hard with the bench grinder. But you will need something to hold and turn those window nuts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.