El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive got a 1976 el camino with the 2 barrel 350 and th350. just wondering if theres anyway i can upgrade my transmission as far as keeping the old school 350 but making the trans a 4 speed or such ive only got about 1500 bucks to play around with . any ideas? Any places i can go in colorado that anyone would recommend?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
That's doable. You'll have to look around, but a 700r4 with a switch (either manual or fixed to the brake pedal) will give you a better first gear and a lock-up overdrive on the highway. You will need to change the cross-member and shorten the driveshaft. Here in TX. I have someone I would recommend but don't know in CO. Good luck!

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,672 Posts
That's doable. You'll have to look around, but a 700r4 with a switch (either manual or fixed to the brake pedal) will give you a better first gear and a lock-up overdrive on the highway. You will need to change the cross-member and shorten the driveshaft. Here in TX. I have someone I would recommend but don't know in CO. Good luck!

Joe
X2. Hi Coloradocamino, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Have fun and enjoy your 76.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would leave it alone and check into the rear end ratio. You want a 3:08 or 2:73. Also look into lock up converters for your 350. Having the converter lock makes a world of difference at speed.
My work truck has a 4L80 with 3:73 rear end. I usually leave it in 3rd (1:1) and let the converter lock up and it goes nicely at 80-90 mph....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts