El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im restoring my interior completely and i was just wondering if there were ne tips and nething that i would need when i do this.
chevyel

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
1.) Get as much new plastic as possible.
2.) If the bows for the headliner are rusted clean them, it makes it easier to slide the new headliner over them.
3.) Check, double check the Wiring! Replace anything that is damaged, heat cracked.
4.) Make sure that when you put it all back together you don't run any wires under anything that is stepped on.

You'll probably have to replace the Dome Light completely holder and all. You can get the Air Vents at EC Parts or The El Camino Store for about 25 each. Degrease with a degreaser and Wax remover anything you would like to touch up color on or paint. Armor All is difficult to remove from surfaces and will not work well with paint.

While you have the dash out, the Heater Box Control cable will probably need to be replaced. The end that operates the heater box door generally brakes off or falls off. I used a Wire Lug that fit over the lever and crimped it to the end of the cable. Kept me from having to dig up a new cable. :wink:

I used Bumper Chrome on the back reflective surfaces of the dash instrument panels and replaced all the lights with newer ones.

Remember how everything came apart! Take pictures!

By the date of this post I am sure that you have already started. You can get a lot of the plastic from EC Parts or The El Camino Store. The Window Felts are really expensive if you get them separate from the "Upper Pads". They are 130 a set and you'll need two sets. That includes the inside felt and outside felt. If you buy the assembled upper pads the inside felt comes on them. Keep all old parts until the job is complete!

These are just things I had to do and re-do, on my 76. Did you ever think about your truck as being built on America's 200th Anniversary? Bi-Centennial El Camino! I call mine "The Spirit of 76"

·
Registered
7 Posts
My '76 project

I'm about to start the long arduous process of restoring my '76 (it's a mess, but can be driven at least!) and will watch for any new tips & tricks - thanks for posting! :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bumper Chrome

ElkyPete,

What is Bumper Chrome. Is it a paint or something you have to send off to have done?

Stewart

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It is a Paint Bomb (Spray can paint). It is actually some really good paint as far as being as close as you can get to actually having something re-plated with a can of paint. It is good for engine parts also because it has a high temp range and if applied properly it lasts a pretty good long while.

On the can it says "Bumper Chrome" and I think it is a DupliColor paint, that part I could be wrong about.

I wouldn't use it on a bumper but inside of the light housing to add to the reflectivity and behind the dash, same reason, I used it to re-do some of the trim around the Vents on my Elkys and on some brackets and the last thing I used it on was a Water Pump. Everyone swares that I have a polished Aluminum Water pump on my 383. It is just painted.

Again prep is the key to a good looking finish. On really raunchy stuff I clean really good, de-grease and use a primer base then the Bumper chrome. I never tried to use the Clear Coat (Paint Bomb) over it. Last time I tried some of that it reduced the base paint (Again Canned stuff) so much that it caused it to run and become very thin in areas. I didn't have a lot of good luck with the Clear Coat.

I just use it for small stuff.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
ElkyPete said:
On the can it says "Bumper Chrome" and I think it is a DupliColor paint
I just picked up some similar stuff, but it said it was for inside plastic trim parts. I Plan on using it to restore the reflective finish on the inside of some plastic brake light housings...I'll post the results.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It worked really well for mine. That was four or five years ago and they are still doing really well. The lights on most older cars are pretty dim. The fact that the lights are only in the bumper on the later Elkys and that is pretty close to the road makes me "think" that people can't see them as well at night. All the newer cars have really big lights and they are really bright.

They can see mine at night, even in fog. They are still not as big and bright as the new cars but they are 100% better than they were in 76. I figure that anything you can do to improve that will improve the chances of not being hit from the rear.

I added a Third brake light also to the back of the cab on the 76 and it is in the spoiler for the rear of the 80. I invested too much in them to have them wrecked, if I can prevent that from happening I will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts