El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any issues with putting a rear end from a 76 cutlass into my 76 elky?
I'm thinking they should be pretty much the same but not sure about the Olds rear.
Pretty sure it will physically bolt in but has anybody ever heard of this rear end having any problems?
I'm thinking it's a common corporate 8.5 rear and it should be fine but I'll defer to you experts!
:You_Rock:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Im no expert but it should fit. Theyre both G-Bodies and its the same body as a 442. And thats a highly sought after rear end!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Im no expert but it should fit. Theyre both G-Bodies and its the same body as a 442. And thats a highly sought after rear end!
76 would be an A body, not G body. The rears should still interchange no problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I checked it out. Turned out to be a chevy 8.5 anyway with a 3.08 posi.
It was advertised as a 3:42 posi Olds rear. It apparently was removed from a 76 Cutlass but it wasn't the original rear as far as I know.And it appeared to have fairly new internals!
The guy I got it from was super nice and deals in a lot of Oldsmobile and other GM parts online.He has several 4th gen parts cars.No elkys but a lotta parts that interchange. Name's Greg. You can email him at [email protected]
I got it for a fair price so I'm pleased.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey steelybill, how about an engine shot of that caddy under the hood of your elky!

:nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,358 Posts
..When I took my Elky to have the rear end service,the mech. told me that I have an Olds heavy duty rear,so,yeah, anything from 73 to 77 will fit under it,remember to,that when G.M started to put B.O.P. in Chevys.( BOP; Buick,Oldsmobile and Pontiac):beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure is ! That's awesome !! Is that a 500 or 472? I'll bet it was a bear getting it fabbed up. I'll bet the torque on that monster is incredible.

:You_Rock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts