El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just picked up a 76 elco and she needs the horn button, turn signal switch and ignition switch replaced to function and pass inspection is there other GM colums that would be a exact replacement from the junk yard? Seems easier and price effective to replace the colum instead of all the parts but only if I can find one cheap? Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
A new replacement steering column for your car could be anywhere from 400 to 600 bucks plus installation. An AC Delco turn signal switch for your car is $46.79 on Rockauto. An AC Delco ignition key lock cylinder with two keys is $18.86 and the AC Delco ignition starter switch is $13.73 - not sure which of these two you might need. The horn button similarly won't be lots of money and can be found at the Original Parts Group web site or National Parts Depot web site.

I think it would be cheaper to buy these piece parts and rebuild your current column but probably only if you can do some of this labor. It's not difficult between the shop manual and looking at a few You Tube videos.

Rick

·
Registered
774 Posts
I agree. plus you know what you have with this one, and it's possible to inherit more costly issues with another unit, if you go the used route. My two cents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just replaced all these on my 81' and its not too bad once you start doing it. There is a write up on here of a step by step. I got into mine and realized my upper bearings were shot, that was not necessarily a fun job lol. But i have under $100 in my rebuilt column. It helps to loosen the column (not remove just loosen) to get the signal switch harness routed back through the column.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone thanks for the comments I’m going to try and rebuild it myself!! New journey but I think I can handle it!!!

Also does anyone know what would cause the driver side running lights to work but not the passenger I’m going to try and track the wires and troubleshoot a cause just figured I’d ask if anyone has had this issue b4??!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts