El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new to El Caminos and found this board a wealth of information. I look forward to learning more from you.
I recently removed the headliner in my 77 and found that instead of wire bows to hold the headliner, the head liner sewed on to plastic bows that slipped into notches in the top of the cab. As I search for a replacement headliner, it appears that for the 77, it requires the wire bows.
If I order a new headliner for a 77, should it come sewed to the plastic bows or will I need to purchase and install the wire bows? If I need to go with the wire bows, how many are used and how are they held in place?
I tried searching this board and didn't find anything that answered my questions so I hope I don't repeat an often repeated question! :)
Thanks for anything you can share and I enjoy the board!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I just purchased a headliner for my 74 Elky and it had the plastic bows that hook into the roof already attached to it. I ordered it from Original Parts Group. They aren't like the original with one complete plastic bow sewn in across to whole thing, but 5 (I think) individual plastic keepers that are adjustable (slide). Haven't tried to put it in yet, may be a while.
Hope this helps.
Lee

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
This possibly will sound a little stupid but. I took all that crap out of my 76. I redid the headliner without all that and used upgraded material like they use in cars now.

The first attempt was to use a cardboard backing. That was a mistake it took away too much of the headroom so I took that out and went in with some thin insulating material glued that in place with contact cement then using the spray headliner glue I put in the new headliner. I later had to go back with a better brand of glue. The Headliner Glue let go the first summer. I used a better number, don't remember now what it was, dupont spray glue and it has been in there now for about 3 years or more and not a problem. It looks great.

Just my experience with that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Caveman,
That sounds exactly like what I had in my El Camino. Your description is very helpful - thanks for responding.

Elky Pete,
I thought about doing something like what you mentioned too. I couldn't determine how to get it up there and look right but using the padding might just do the trick!

Thank you both for responding. This is a great site!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts