El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started pulling my 350 transmission today. Gonna take it in to replace some seals cut out the leaking. Made it all the way to the top two bolts on the passenger side. Any suggestions? My 75 wasn’t as challenging—no catalytic converter.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Started pulling my 350 transmission today. Gonna take it in to replace some seals cut out the leaking. Made it all the way to the top two bolts on the passenger side. Any suggestions? My 75 wasn’t as challenging—no catalytic converter.
I see this was posted 15 hours ago. I'm pretty sure you have the trans on the floor already, but if not, my favorite way is to use a super long extension I got at Harbor Freight, forget the length but over 24" and drop the rear of the trans enough to get a straight shot at the bolts with an impact wobble socket. If that doesn't work, removing the distributor will let it drop more, or do the opposite like JJ said, you can get at those bolts more than one way, just kind of depends on your situation with jacks, jack-stands and wrenches or sockets. Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I lowered the tail end as much as I could without removing dizzy. Once I got the second bolt and moved the starter wire tube I could see my way to the first. Interesting fact:

the top right bolt is stubby. Doesn’t look stock. It barely seems long enough to grab the engine side but it was indeed tight. Unless someone corrects me, I’ll assume its supposed to be regular length and try to find a replacement. My 75 was not like this. Another interesting fact: flexplate only had two bolts in it, and they looked like they had been chewed by Bigfoot. I had to use pliers to hold the bolt heads because they wouldn’t take a wrench.

I did not get it on the ground though. It’s been 3 years since I did one and I can’t remember how I got the trans separated from the shaft. Just a big screwdriver or crowbar to lever it off? I was by myself today and the rain came so I packed up. Will get some help in the morning.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
o-ok
usually you have a jack stand under the motor pan so it doesn't break the distributor cap,,
then just pull down on the trans tail, with it over the jack or blocks..

it should break loose purty easy, unless that weird bolt is for something else ??
like maybe they moved the trans dip stick hold down bracket and used a short bolt ??
that little short bolt wont even go thru the trans flange
double-double check for another bolt thru the trans bell flange..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bingo. We pulled and pulled then finally double checked and sure enough the short bolt was the dipstick tube holddown. Got the last bolt (regular size) and sure enough it dropped right off like it was supposed to. Got it in the truck and going to take it to the shop tomorrow. They will replace all the seals you can get to without taking it all apart. It shifts fine, but I think the car must have sat for several years and some of the seals like around the shifter and the speedo are seeping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts