El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fattest Rubber Possible on STOCK RALLY WHEELS

Hi All,

I'm making the transition from bikes to cars and this is my first, only & last hot rod car and I have to learn everything from scratch.

I have the stock factory Rally wheels on my car and I'd like to keep them. I plan to have them nicely re-painted like the factory did.

I would like to know what is the fattest tires I can put on them without rubbing anywhere?

Best regards,

Fiftysixer

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Using the stock 14" wheels, you're limited more by how much tire you can fit on your wheels. As posted in the sticky in this thread, the limits are about 26" height and 9 3/4" section width for the front tires, 28" height, 11" section width out back. Look up some of the tire mfr's specs on the tire brands you are considering and pay attention to the "recommended wheel width" spec.

Bill

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I just looked at a chart and it shows a 235/60/14 to be smaller than factory in everyway with the exception of section width of 9 1/4. (factory is 8.07) and its height is 25.1. I f you want to have stock look with a little more rubber on the road this would work all the way around. Also at 65 miles per hour this set up will show 62.5 mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there, i just bought a 85 el camino and would like to go with some taller diameter iroc rims with lower profile ( quality ) tires that would equal the diameter of the stock tires. im not looking to push the envelope here, just more rim showing with the same diameter so as not to mess with speedo and odometer. any good ideas for a combo set guys? thanks!

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
919 Posts
So did anyone answer the IROC 16in wheel question ! I have had 2 "front"s single line wheels for ever, been looking for two more (if anyone one region 6 have seen any) but not sure if "Rear"s will work on 84 elky and how big of tire will work front 16x50x235 and 16x50x255 rear ? Help!

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,310 Posts
So did anyone answer the IROC 16in wheel question ! I have had 2 "front"s single line wheels for ever, been looking for two more (if anyone one region 6 have seen any) but not sure if "Rear"s will work on 84 elky and how big of tire will work front 16x50x235 and 16x50x255 rear ? Help!
I've always heard that you need to use 4 fronts with the IROC wheels :dontknow:

:beer:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just bought new wheels and tires after an extensive research

Front U.S. Wheel 304 series 15x7 with 235/60/15 tires by Mickey Thompson S/T
wheel is 3.75 backspacing and -6mm offset mfg part# 304-5734

Rear U.S. Wheel 304 series 15x8 with 255/60/15 tires by Mickey Thompson S/T
wheel is 3.75 backspacing with -19mm offset mfg part# 304-5834

According to all calculators ans specifications I should be just fine especially that I have ordered Air bags for rear suspension as well.

As soon as my setup comes I will check and align my Cruck (in dire need of this) and post the results and possibly photos

I had rubbing with 235/60/15 in the front with 15x9 (!? why would someone?) wheel but it turned out to be a completely messed up caster setting so I have mocked it for the measurement purposes and it doesn't rub anymore

·
Registered
563 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on a set of Crager 15 inch wheels. It is almost impossible to find good tires for the stock 14 inch wheels. I have been running on 235/60-14s for the last 20 years.

I am thinking of getting 15x7s with 4 inch backspacing. I want to be able to rotate the tires. Crager does not seem to make a 16 inch wheel. 17 inch wheels are just too way big for my tastes on a El Camino.

·
Registered
26 Posts
78 Cabby Tire Wheel Fitment Help

:patriot:
Hi guys, I am at a point where I'd like to get some new rubber for my 78. I have 4 x 16x8 4" backspace wheels. I also have 2 x identical 16x9 4.5" backspace wheels. I was about to pull the trigger on some tires. I was thinking 225/55/R16 for the front, seems like it would fit. Although was a bit worried with the 8" rims.

I'm not sure what to do on the back... I was wondering if a 245/50/R16 would fit on the 16x8's without mods?? I also have these 16x9 wheels sitting here. They have 225/50's on them, so I figured I'd try them on the rear to see what I get. I get a little over an inch of clearance to the frame. Everything else seems to clear. Hard to tell what will fit, not sure what would be the best combination..

What do you guys recommend I do with the tires and wheel combination I have? The easy way out is to get all 225's on the 16x8's but wider is better right?

Also what tires do you guys use? I know all about the speed ratings, and load indexes. What brands, types?? (summer use)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The reason I've never tried the 16x9 wheels is that they came extra with the car when I got it. It was my uncles who passed away, so I'm shy on information. With 225's they seem to work.

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Your 225/55's on 4" BS wheels should be fine both front and rear. The 245/50's should be fine on the rear with the 4" BS wheels, but may be too close to the frame rails on the 4.5 BS 9" wheels. That's one you're gonna have to do a trial fitting.
BTW, here's a link to a tire size comparator site that may help you.http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Bill

·
Registered
465 Posts
I Read All The Above Threads, Just Have One Question, Because I Am Confused, Will 215/70/15
Work Using A 15/7 4.25 Backspace Rally Rim On My 85 With Stock Suspension , Just Need A Yes Or No. Before I Mount The Tires And I Own The Rims

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The rears should fit and clear fine if you relocate the wiring harness at the left rear. Fronts, however may be a bit of a problem. I would expect the same issues that I had detailed in the "sticky" when I tried 4.25 BS rally wheels. You may need a 1/4" or so spacer up front. My best advice is to mount up one or two and give them a test fit.

Bill

21 - 40 of 77 Posts