El Camino Central Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Your bolt pattern is 5 holes on a 4 3/4 inch diameter.
Also, check the diagram below and recheck your measurements. Unless your '78 is raised up in the rear, a 2.5-3.0 inch backspace, 8 inch wheel should not fit in the quarter panels of a 5th gen Camino.

Bill

and since the diagram isn't specific, Backspace is measured from the inside (axle side) of the wheel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Running Centerline Convo Pro's on my '65 El. 15x7 front, with 215-70-15 BFG T/A's and 3 3/8" backspacing. rear are 15x7.5 with 245-60-15 BFG T/A's and 5" backspacing

·
Registered
172 Posts
Running Weld Rodlites 15x7F, 15x8R on my 83SS. 215-70-15's on the front are too tall (26.85") and they rub. Moving to 215-65-15's (26.0") on the front (which is also listed as the stock tire size for a Monte Carlo SS G body)
235-70-15's on the rear fit just fine with no issues.
(I have run 275-60-15's and even 295-50-15's on the rear with no issues)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome useful wheel calculator!!!

Here are two sites that I've found to be very helpful. If you know your original factory supplied tire and wheel sizes, you can easily compare that with any proposed tire and/or wheel sizes that you're considering..............Ken

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire size comparer&sw1=225&ar1=60&bd1=15&rw1=7.0&et1=10&sw2=235&ar2=50&bd2=17&rw2=8.0&et2=11&text1=Old Front&text2=New Front

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire size comparer&sw1=245&ar1=60&bd1=15&rw1=7.0&et1=10&sw2=255&ar2=45&bd2=17&rw2=8.0&et2=11&text1=Old Rear&text2=New Rear
Thank you so much Ken Rogers...this is perfect! I found at the back of this page where they have guaranteed fit tire and rim packages!

·
Registered
9 Posts
15x8 with 245/60/15 in front?? please help

I haven't seen this question specifically answered or didn't look right maybe. I'm ordering 15x8 rally's with 4.25 backspacing. Whats the widest tire i can fit all around on my '81 elky, specifically the front??? Can I fit 245/60/15 on the front without rubbing, without any modifications?? Or should I play it safe and stick with 235/60/15??

·
Registered
9 Posts
15x8 with 245/60/15 in front?? please help

Please help, I'm purchasing some 15x8 rally wheels with 4.25 backspacing for 81 caballero. I want to know to biggest tire I can fit on the front wheels with no modifications and no rubbing. I would like to try for 245/60/15. Can anybody tell me if this size would fit on my front wheels with no issues? or should I go for 235/60/15??

·
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Based on my experience with my '87, I'd bet against 245's. As the first post of this thread details, 235/60 on an 8" wheel with 4" BS is all I could fit. The 4.25 BS may give you a little relief on the outside, but I'd bet you'll be rubbing the frame behind the wheels. I'd suggest maybe buying two 245's, try them on the front first and if they don't work, move them to the rear and buy two smaller tires for the front.

Bill

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed a set of 235/60-15 Cooper Cobras on 15x8 5x4.5, 4.75 +0 Cragar Ultralite wheels last week. They look great but front wheels do rub a little on the rear of the inner fender. I have the Eibach Pro-Kit coils dropping it 1" from stock and BMR control arms all around, had to add 1/4" spacers to keep wheel balance weights from hitting links. I'm anxious to see how the rubbing behaves after I replace my sloppy steering box or even if it goes away.

·
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I installed a set of 235/60-15 Cooper Cobras on 15x8 5x4.5, 4.75 +0 Cragar Ultralite wheels last week. They look great but front wheels do rub a little on the rear of the inner fender. I have the Eibach Pro-Kit coils dropping it 1" from stock and BMR control arms all around, had to add 1/4" spacers to keep wheel balance weights from hitting links. I'm anxious to see how the rubbing behaves after I replace my sloppy steering box or even if it goes away.
It likely won't make any difference, as the condition of the steering box, good or bad has no influence on the positioning of the wheels/tires.

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am building a street / strip El Camino and will be using air shocks out back ,so i should be easily able to avoid any wheelwell contact in the back ,due the "tail up, nose down" 70's era stance .I also am not too concerned over tires sticking outward of the wheel well to some degree .That said , i have 15 x10" wide rims with 3.77 backspacing on the way , and a set of pretty damn wide 295/50 R15 (section width 295) Cooper Cobras. ,so the only possible issue i can forsee is contact inboard, like framerail. Using your chart info and my somewhat limited mental capacity i was unable to determine if i should go outside and ram my head into a tree for wasting money or not - Does anyone with perhaps more knowledge and ability than I see a fitment issue re: inboard interference ?

·
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
My guess is it won't work.
The 295/50 Cobra is 1.2 in. wider than my 275/60 T/A's and your backspace is only .23 in. less. My math shows it would be almost 1/2 inch closer to the frame rail. I had less than 1/2 inch to the frame with my 275/60's at rest, so I don't think they will clear, especially with the little bit of flex in the control arm bushings. It would be good if you could mock 'em up first, but that may not be possible.

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
My guess is it won't work.
The 295/50 Cobra is 1.2 in. wider than my 275/60 T/A's and your backspace is only .23 in. less. My math shows it would be almost 1/2 inch closer to the frame rail. I had less than 1/2 inch to the frame with my 275/60's at rest, so I don't think they will clear, especially with the little bit of flex in the control arm bushings. It would be good if you could mock 'em up first, but that may not be possible.

Bill
I already found some race quality 1" wide (thick) steel ring wheel spacers i can use if I have to, that would step the inside out an additional inch would should give me plenty of clearance .They are also vavailable in 1/4" , 1/2" , and 3/4" widths so i figure what i will do is slap the tires/rims on there when they come in , and then figure out how much additional room i need to make sure i clear frame rails under load , and then order accordingly ,I think that ought to work. I'll have a lot of tire hanging out of the rear wheelwells of course but that really doesnt bother me ,that is pretty much how we had them back in the 70's .Hopefully i can get away with the 1/2" or 3/4" spacer plates and not have to go the full inch. Thanks for your input though, it tells me in real life what i had suspected, it's too close to call, and likely too close to be safe without using the spacers, especially under hard load like dragstrip style launches so now i have a much better idea of what to be both prepared for and to look and check for. You the man!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts