El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays everyone,

I'm trying to get started on my interior this winter and am having a tough time deciding on sport bucket seats (not original). I don't care to spend much past $750 for the entire package, just need something that holds me in place.

The best I've seen so far is from Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csum4031/overview/year/1978/make/chevrolet/model/el-camino

Also, if anyone has installed the Dakota Digital analog gauges in their rig, is it worth the price?

Cheers,

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I seriously recommend a walk through your local junk yards to see what might work for you. Take a tape measure, make a few notes. Go back to your EC and see if your measured numbers might work. Seats can be had in my town for 20 bucks each. Split bench 60/40, buckets, power seats . . . 20 bucks each. If you are interested in power seats, take a small car battery, wire cutters and alligator clip jumper wires to test the motors before you buy them.

The various El Camino and Chevelle catalogs have every imaginable type of bracket you might need, if any. My junk yard seats out of a mid 90's Pontiac Grand Prix had brackets that fit the floor very nicely on a 70 EC. I only had to drill new holes. There is a link below to a previous write up I did on donor seats.

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=217898

Rick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the tip Rick.

Will have to visit my local pick-and-pull to see what I can find!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My commuter car is a 2000 Volvo V70R wagon, and it has very firm but comfy seats. The ergonomucs are just right for long stints. I don’t know how hard they’d be to adapt, but our local PullaParts are full of Volvos, and I’d suggest sitting in some to see how they feel. They have heaters, too.
Patrick

Try searching the forum, too; several members have swapped seats from Acuras, Cadillacs, GM F and J bodies, etc. Also, if you have a split bench now, you have bucket seat tracks already.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
85 Supra seats..

I installed some buckets from a 1985 Supra. Perfect color.. power drivers.. i did make the brackets to mount from some 1'sq tubing and 1" angle. Not hard to do and they are very comfy. 2013-07-10 14.22.14.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
I installed buckets out of a 2002 Monte Carlo and had new leather seat covers made. It took some fabricating to make brackets but if you have a little experience working iron it is fairly easy. I have the bench reinstalled right now as I'm doing an interior rebuild and getting ready to paint.
I wanted to keep the EC looking mostly like an 85 so when I installed the LS engine I removed all traces of the old instrument cluster and wiring to install the new Dakota Digital needle style gauge setup as it looks real close to original. The DD setup is great and also let me install the DD electronic cruise which works great. It is kind of costly but a major upgrade.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I read lots of issues with the Digital gauge set ups but have no personal experience. I like the factory warning lights with a hidden set of oil and temp gauges. I use a hidden shift light for rpm..

One time a bad oil pressure gauge ruined most of the cruise season for me, I was ready to pull the new motor I just installed when somebody on one of these forums suggested I check the gauge, thankfully it was the gauge.. After that, having too much information became a bad thing lol..

I would look on Craig's List for seats.. It doesn't take much to fit them in using a flat plate with holes drilled in the right places. That way you don't put holes in your floor. I saw this at a car cruise one time and thought it was a good idea..

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I was searching for seats recently, but ended up spending $1,3,50 on a set of Corbeau’s with some extras. But during my search I stopped by Summit in Sparks and sat on this Sparco seat. It was surprisingly comfortable and the vinyl was very thick. If you’re considering vinyl over cloth, it’s worth a look. $330 each, which I’m guessing doesn’t include the mounting bracket.

Attachments

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,714 Posts
I put a set of 90's/00's camaro/trans am in my 83 & 84 ! Got them from the upullit for $30 each & they bolted to the stock 55/45 mounts with no modification & took only a few minutes !

Attachments

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,585 Posts
Relco , I have ProCar 1000 seats from Summit Racing that gbrinehart mentioned . They fit your budget and have the brackets that make it an easy install . They have a slight bolster rise when getting in and out but I have had them for probably 7 years and love them . We don`t have a salvage yard within 600 miles of Key West , so the salvage yard and re-upholstery option was not good for me . The link that B52Bombadier posted is definitely worth a read . It was so good I gave him " reputation " , for it . There are several other good suggestions offered so you should be able to settle on what you like .

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Happy Holidays everyone,

I'm trying to get started on my interior this winter and am having a tough time deciding on sport bucket seats (not original). I don't care to spend much past $750 for the entire package, just need something that holds me in place.

Ryan
If you have a split bench in your G Body now, you can use most any mid sized GM "sporty" car bucket from the 80's and 90's. The '90's Grand Am seats I put in my '87 bolted up nicely to my seat tracks with a simple piece of 2" long 1" wide 1/4" thick flat stock on the inside seat mounts (total of 4 pieces). They sit very nicely and look "right".

Also, I have Dakota digital in the car (I didn't install them myself) but they look great. I opted for GPS speedo so I didn't have to fool with a cable anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the feedback from everyone here. I'm going to spend some time researching and will let you all know once I pull the trigger on a set (used or new).

·
Senior Member Participating Member
814 Posts
Would someone know the length of the inboard seatbelts for 5TH gen Bucket Seats. From Center of mounting hole to receptacle end of buckle? Thanks.:yell:

·
Registered
218 Posts
My commuter car is a 2000 Volvo V70R wagon, and it has very firm but comfy seats. The ergonomucs are just right for long stints. I don’t know how hard they’d be to adapt, but our local PullaParts are full of Volvos, and I’d suggest sitting in some to see how they feel. They have heaters, too.
Patrick

Try searching the forum, too; several members have swapped seats from Acuras, Cadillacs, GM F and J bodies, etc. Also, if you have a split bench now, you have bucket seat tracks already.
I put 1998 Volvo V70 seats in my 87. It required fabricating a custom bracket and they still sit too high. I'm going to pull them once I find something better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts