El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright....
I figured since I have some cancer spots on this ol' girl that I should do some custom body work while I'm fixin the holes.

I've thought of two ideas for the rear lights and bumper. Tell me what you think.

Idea #1:
Roll Pan replacing stock bumper and using Caddy lights
Also shaving off the license plate hole/mount and placing, either a tailgate badge from a 66 Elky or a 59 Elky, in the center of the tailgate.

Idea #2:
Replace the stock bumper with one from a '71 Chevelle. Mounting the Chevelle bumper upside down. I'd plate over the stock license plate hole/mount & use the license plate cutout from the Chevelle bumper. Then where you see the 'Chevelle' script emblem in the picture, I'd put the rear quarter script emblem from a '65 Elky.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
My opinions ,idea 1 taillights look outdated now, saw that 20 years ago. tailgate looks good, be sure to cutout & buttweld filler in or you will constantly get ghostshadow. Like the thought, but not too sure about fit of chevelle bumper. May want to tuck , fill & modify your bumper for round lights OR combine the 2 bumpers. See my photobucket link, I used part of a nova bumper ,the top & inner of mine & some scrap metal.Round lights are a more `timeless' look.Interested to see what you do & glad to advise any way I can. Also, did you look at my thread for drknow? trying to start my own trend.:dontknow: Srx taillights with the lower portion removed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Chevelle rear bumper is only 3-4 inches longer than the stock one from my 5th gen. There wouldn't be too much sectioning that would have to be done to turn it around to get re-chromed.

Then I'm also not completely sure if I'll be building a sled or a plow, suspension wise...

·
Registered
134 Posts
i like #1, But agree with JL, the caddy lights are a lil outdated, i say shave everything, and mount some led strips in the gap between the bottom of tailgate and roll pan/bumper, I know this too has been down alot before but, it always looks trick when its all smooth and shaved. But hey man its your car and your money :nanawrench:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other option with the roll pan is to turn the caddy lights sideways and mount them below the tailgate, to give a similar look to the stock mounts.

I only ask because another project I'm working on I am also customizing the taillights. I ended up deciding to use Toyota Tundra stepside taillights on it. It's an '87 BMW 320i with full custom metal widebody flares and skirts. It originally was going to use caddy lights also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright... I'll be going with a roll pan to smooth out the rear and also will be putting a dual-round tube bumper on the rear to replace the stock bumper. I'm putting in 'Trucklite' oval trailer lamps into the tube bumper to have working taillights.

Now my question to everyone reading.. I'm thinking on replacing the stock rear window.
My idea is to use either a 'tri-5' pickup window or an S-10 rear window. The original window sets the Elky as an individual, but I'd like to slim it down and since my stock window is cracked and the seal leaks I figure now is the time to replace it.

I would be cutting the body steel off of the donor truck to fill in the size gap. Also to eliminate the sealing issue with a custom fitment into the Elky.

Thoughts?.. Suggestions?...

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Sounds like you've made your mind up, and I agree with 80 elk (your car, your money). I've often thought about how the 1973-77 El Camino rear bumper on my 80' (narrowed of course) would look. IMO, it has a basic design similar to the one on my 80' (rubber impact strip), but the tail lights look so much better. I like the idea of the exhaust tips (same shape as the tail lights) coming out of the license plate pocket area (AKA Corvette). The bumper could be tucked and painted or chromed (to match the front bumper if need be). One could also install a flip-up license plate and a hidden hitch in the stock license plate pocket in the bumper. Sure wish I knew photo bucket!!:smileyb:

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts