El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching around , with no luck finding a replacement roof panel for my 78 el camino . I have only found weld in replacements for 68-72 .

My original idea was to cut out the rusted panel , and have a sheet metal replacement formed and welded in its place.

I need some direction , if there is in fact a replacement being sold let me know , or give me some feed back on the sheet metal replacement . I understand that if its not formed correctly the end result will be noticeable . But I'm thinking its mainly ( assess rust , cut out rust, use cutout as stencil , cut replacement , welded in , grind etc.)

This is my first post by the way.

·
Premium Member
12,546 Posts
Welcome, I can't give you a solid answer to your question but I can welcome you to the site!!
Enjoy the site, post pics when you can and good luck with your project!!!:beer:
Donny:texas:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have found that most roof surfaces are hard to patch because they are a constant compound curve...
Using straight sheet metal becomes a problem, so forming each patch and blending it in takes real skill. So, X2 on the "Donor Car" replacement

Or buy a 68-72 :Llol:
No joke really, over the past 40 years I have always looked at the available parts and accessories available for vehicles before buying them..a model year can make all the difference!

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I will be cutting up a 79 in the next few weeks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts