El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done side pipes on a G-body?

Trying to figure out a good way to increase the breathing on my '78 without spending a fortune.

Noticed some side pipes on display at Summit today.
Seems like a reasonable answer, thinking they may avoid having to cut/change my trans support.
Also might not lose ground clearance I need with my 2" shorter springs.

I already have a set of headers, need to get them on the car before tuning the carb.

I'm in rural Nevada, so no reason to worry about the damn cats or any other "Smog" trash.

I have to get this rig running right, fairly cheap, or replace it with an older model as all the crumbling/cracking plastic interior parts annoy me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi. i am also in rural northern nevada. I think just a bigger diameter exhaust would do the trick. sisde pipes might drag.

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Richard, you might look at TexasElCamino. She has side pipes just installed, however hers sits up higher to allow for the 18" (IIRC) wheels. I think it looks good. Ground clearance could be a factor, if yours is lowered.

Tim

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I might have to exit through the fenders?

Hmm, I might have to exit through the fender sides?

Mine does sit a bit lower than most, nothing radical, just Eibach springs from summit.

I may have to pull the stock exhaust to see where these headers end at.

I'm a bit Old School, running Enkei 15" Basket rims.

Body on mine is just rough enough that mods will not hurt it, thinking of changing out the entire front.
Would like to put a 70 Camaro clip on it, but it's a ridiculous amount of work.
The Lauren Engineering nose would be easier, but it's $4K.

I have to decide, put time and money into this '78, or patch it together until I can get another '59?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I like side pipes but ia gree with everyone else: they might drag since your lowered. Id do just a side exit in front of the rear tires. Itll give you an aggressive look and for cheaper. You still might run into fitment issues with your corssmember

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I seem to have plenty of clearance but like Minoridertim said, I do have mine up on 20"s and raised 1 and 1/2" too. I love the look of them. Here's how mine looks...
Let us know what you end up doing with yours. :beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts