El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New forum member who just bought a '78 El Camino for my son. I'm trying to figure out a problem so we can get it inspected and road-worthy. The issue is that whenever we put on a left turn signal, both rear lights flash. However, when we put on the right turn signal, everything works as expected. This happens whether headlights are on or off. I've checked grounds in the rear (actually removed grounds, grinded rust off and resecured). Also, I've noticed that the left turn signal on the dash doesn't work, however, the front signal works. Any ideas of where to look would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
You might have the wrong bulb in that turn signal. It should be an 1157. An 1156 might connect both tabs together.

Also, someone may have wired that light wrong. Check the color of the wires and compare to the good side.

Jack

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New bulbs (1157's in brake/turns, 1156's in backup). Also, new sockets and I've rewired the rear lights from the main plug in between the rear driver fender & the gas tank to the lights. I used the wiring diagram from a Chilton's I bought. The reason for the rewire is because apparently the previous owner wired in a trailer cable and then removed. He left a spaghetti mess.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Just a reminder - Green = right, yellow = left, brown = taillights

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Colors are correct. I was wondering if there was anything forward of that main plug in the driver's rear fenderwell that I can check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, in case my original post wasn't clear, The issue was BEFORE the rewire. I rewired in an attempt to fix, however, the issue still exists.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Just behind the drivers rear tire the harness has a bad habit of getting between the tire and frame and rubbing raw places. Might check there. You could also check at the base of the steering column with a test light and see if it is doing it right out of the switch and work your way back if need be.

·
Registered
532 Posts
actually, have you checked the switch?, hazard lights and turn signals can be a pain, a broken switch can(not saying is) cause this behavior GL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Issue is fixed!!! I wound up taking out the instrument cluster to replace all bulbs in there and also clean all connections in the bulb sockets, gauge connections, and also the all contacts on the flat ribbon on the back of the instrument cluster. While in there, I cleaned all connections on the wiring harnesses on the steering column. Before I put it all back together and threw a test light on it, I connected everything back together and tried it. To my surprise, it all worked with the exception of the fuel gauge!! A little bit too dark/cold outside for me to look at that tonight, but hey, at least the car is able to be inspected now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts