El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this short, and to the point.

'78 El Camino. Brakes were soft, and had a fair number of miles on them, so I bought rotors, calipers, pads, hardware kit and brake hoses from Rock Auto. Took it to a trusted local shop to get everything installed, and, well, the truck has been on his lift for 3 days now.

The rotor/hubs I supplied are a no go with the bearings that I bought; the bearings don't fit the outer race, but the inner is fine. The shop has ordered 2 sets now, and neither fit. He has a line on a complete '79 rotor/hub, that comes with the correct bearings. So, is there any reason a '79 rotor/hub won't fit/work on a '78 spindle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Brakes

Both inner and outer fit in new rotor if the wrong size send them back. Three days seems like a long time to see something is not working. Maybe the trusted shop needs a new brake tech.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both inner and outer fit in new rotor if the wrong size send them back. Three days seems like a long time to see something is not working. Maybe the trusted shop needs a new brake tech.
One of the very few drawbacks of living in a small town is that nobody stocks parts for anything this old; no demand, means it all comes through NAPA out of Atlanta, so never same day delivery.

Plus, I always tell these places my truck takes a back seat to their bread-and-butter work. For me, it's a play truck, but others need their vehicles for work, school, etc.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i live in a pretty small town and usually as long as i place my order by 11 they can usually have it to me by 5 as long as they have it in there warehouse.

now i don't know if it the same for the elcamino's as my dodges but there is a 3300lb front rotor and a rotor for everything else and the only difference i found was the bearings. i did learn from this that i need to order 3300lb front end parts and that my truck has the same bearings as a 3/4 ton according to the parts book at the autoparts store.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,452 Posts
NO the 1979 stuff will not work on the 1978 spindles !
1978 is a year only for the bearings !

people had to change the spindles to 79 & up because nobody makes new bearings for the 78 ??? check for old threads about the 78 only
78-81 used 7/16-20 lug studs and 82-up used M12-1.5 lug studs

Perfect time to upgrade to the Blazer brakes since you need to change to the Blazer spindles !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright; as they say at the massage parlor, I've got a happy ending.

The setup that worked was a '79 rotor/hub (which uses the same '78 inner bearing), but a '79 outer bearing and race.

Not knowing the history of the truck, I'm wondering if someone back in the day swapped the spindles to '79 or later.

For anyone that might see this thread in a future search, consider replacing the front brake hoses. Looking at the ones that came off (original?), when we cut one apart, it's a wonder they hadn't collapsed or burst.

So, I ended up with new rotors, bearings, seals, calipers, pads, hoses, hardware kit, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and all new rear hardware. Brakes should not be an issue for years to come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts