El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield on my 81 is hazy. I plan to check on local installers shortly. I found the tinted windshield with antenna online at several retailers
with what seemed to be fair enough prices. However, they require an additional fee for shipping freight (oversized package). Anybody have
any experience with ordering their own glass and having a professional install. And, what cost might I expect for shipping this glass to my
house or installer? Just ballpark. Any suggestions you would like to add from your own experiences, please do.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Never had a problem letting the local glass shps obtain asnd install the windsheilds. That way if they break it or get the wrong one they correct it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Another item related to windshield installation is the rearview mirror, Do these come with or without a mirror mounting?

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,530 Posts
Never had a problem letting the local glass shps obtain asnd install the windsheilds. That way if they break it or get the wrong one they correct it.
I agree with 464elky and also suggest that you have a glass installer do the job for you . Over the 37 years that I have owned an El Camino , I had an 83 and my current 87 receive a broken windshield from flying gravel while I was driving on a highway . Not sure about where you live in the Green Bay area but the insurance company here in Florida replaced both of them without any deduction . This is done to keep drivers from driving around with cracked/unsafe windshields . As I watched the glass tech do the job , I kept saying to myself , that was one job I did not want to attempt .

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am going to agree with the above posters. The installation company can also get the same windshield, and, like the one poster said, if anything goes wrong, they will get you another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts