El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have Finished my Engine Swapp successfully! :nanawrench:
Ok so I've been a member of this Forum for about a year now, but I haven't formally introduced myself, or my car... My bad... I'm hopeing this will work as my introduction as well as my engine swapp details.

So here goes:

Car: 1979 GMC Caballero - Base Model
Stock Drivetrain: 305 5.0L, Saginaw 4-Speed, Not sure on the Rear End...
Everything on my car is, was, stock when I purchased it.I purchased the car from the orginal owner back in April of 2004.
The First thing I did to the car was body work. Car was white with Red interior. I had the rust repaired and dents pulled out, then I painted it Maroon Red to match the interior color, I also wanted to have a 2 toned paint job so on the bottom I had Red Cherry painted and also down the center or the hhod, following the body lines.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The motor only had 66,000 miles on it when I bought the car, but the entire car had 166,000.
I had a few things in the interior done, like a new headliner and visors. I also put on a dash mat.

So thats the intorduction for my car, I named him The Gentleman...
Here is the motor swapp...
My stock 305 ran great, I just got an amazing deal on a 350 with parts I couldn't pass on.

Another

So the 350...
Block is From I believe a 78 truck: C4Z149035VO226TKT
Heads are 96 Vortec truck heads: 12558062
Pistons are Speed Pro 345NP
Lifters are Comp Cams 812-16
CamShaft is Comp Cmas XE262H
Timing Chain set up is: Edelbrock Performer Link 7800
CrankShaft is a Ballanced Stock 350 replacement shaft.
I Got all these parts for $200!:nanawrench:i was like, "Sold!"
I didn't want a very agressive high performace motor beacuse this is my daily driver, and only personal veheicle. Luckly My brother let me share his truck while the motor swapp went on.

So after we pulled the 305 out, it was way messy and had seen better days.

We decided to clen up the engine bay while the motor was out, and it was a must!

I will post more this this in a few as the pictures are not showing up right now.

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After a trip to the Machine Shop for some porting, pollishing, ballancing, the 350 Vortec came home!
As you can tell, I'm super stoked to have it home...

Then comes the assembly of the covers and everything else...

This was just a mock up tp see how it would look...

Almost ready to be installed...

Radiator and Fans...
Champion Aluminum core radiator with shroud for dual 12" fans.
Spal fans P/N: 30102038

Now, Time to put in the new heart....

Radiator install time!

And finally the finished product!!!!:nanawrench:

Well there is my most recent project in a nutshell... I hope this wasnt too long of a thread for all ya'll. Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
It could have been longer, but I left out about half of my pictures so I didn't bore ya'll.
This project has been a long time comming. There was gonna be a crate 350 HO motor put in the car back in 2007, my Dad and i were gonna do it all in our garage together have it was gonna be super awesome.
Unfortunately my Dad suddenly passed away a monthe before this was gonna happen. So to take care of bills and all I put our 350 swapp dream on the back burnner.
I am so happy to have this done and proud to say the car runs fantasic too.
I have since dedicated the Resto/Mod of my car to my Dad, in his memory. i am planning on one day getting a plaque made to show it and put it under the hood somewhere were it will stay clean driving in the utah weather.
And plus I can't end this without giving a ton of credit to my friend Josh, who's like a brother to me, with out his inginuity, I probably would still be working on the motor on the engine stand.

Anyway, thanks for looking at this, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks again,
Randy, AKA Ductape

· Registered
81 Posts
I scored a set of Vortec heads today for 125 bucks, going to clean them, replace the seals and look for a roller cam short block from a 87 to 94 350. :nanawrench: Gotta keep the low buck, small budget hot rodding alive. :beer:

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where's the sound and video?:dontknow:
Ok, here is a video of the motor running before we had the exhaust.
The headers are schoenfeld headers by the way.

Sounds pretty good. I'm gonna put a exhaust cut out on here pretty soon, right before the Cat, so it'll be about that loud whenever I want it to.:nanawrench:
Hope you guys enjoy the video :beer:

· TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
nice job the vortec headed motors run great.i had one in mine for a couple months but i used the later roller cam short block
I've recently bought an L31 long-block crate motor(brand new). It's a Vortec 350 with a roller cam, 96-2000. It's got 9.5:1 compression. I'm putting a ZZ4 roller cam in it, so the heads were pulled to install 350lb valve springs and screw in studs. I have special retainers that allow for the extra lift. I also bought roller rockers and chrome moly push rods to handle the pressure. I've also got an Eddy air-gap manifold and Eddy 600cfm carb. I'll be running an MSD ignition controller and Jegs HP HEI distributor. Lots of polished aluminum and chrome. My only compromise is going with stainless mid length headers. I'm going to eventually lower my ride a bit and do not want header scraping or smashing. I hope she sounds as good as yours! :beer:

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've recently bought an L31 long-block crate motor(brand new). It's a Vortec 350 with a roller cam, 96-2000. It's got 9.5:1 compression. I'm putting a ZZ4 roller cam in it, so the heads were pulled to install 350lb valve springs and screw in studs. I have special retainers that allow for the extra lift. I also bought roller rockers and chrome moly push rods to handle the pressure. I've also got an Eddy air-gap manifold and Eddy 600cfm carb. I'll be running an MSD ignition controller and Jegs HP HEI distributor. Lots of polished aluminum and chrome. My only compromise is going with stainless mid length headers. I'm going to eventually lower my ride a bit and do not want header scraping or smashing. I hope she sounds as good as yours! :beer:
That sounds like a good set up. Hopefully you don't have any issues with your exhaust. Iv'e heard of others that lower their cars who oval out the collectors on the headers so they get a little extra sppace to the ground.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your updates with your project.
Good Luck :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.