El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up the engine swap on my 79 Elky and am at a place where I need to make a decision on adding a reciever hitch before routing the new dual exhaust. I plan on using the Elky to occasionally pull a motorcycle trailer. The hitch that came with the vehicle is just bolted to the bumper and does not look very substantial. My plan was to add a class 3 reciever hitch but no one seems to sell them. The only ones I can find are class 2 which does not seem to be stout enough for the gtw or tongue weight I would be using. So my questions are as follows.
Does anyone sell a 79 Elky specific class 3 reciever hitch?
If so who?
Why can i only find class 2 hitch?
Is there some reason elkys are not supposed to use class 3 hitches?
I'm adding a 350 which seems to be plenty enough power to tow a motorcycle trailer.
Please advise.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Likewise, I also want to add a class 3 hitch. Can't find them on-line, so last June, I got an estimate from U-haul for my '78. I thought the price was reasonable, but life happens and I didn't order it. Still interested though.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
just remember, your Elkie gross curb weight plus your trailer weight. I'm pretty sure that's why you're really only able to find Class II hitches.

as for the hitch itself, I did find an adjustable class 3 at the swap meet 2 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts