El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1979 El Camino SS that someone slapped a Monte front nose on and tried to call it done. So instead of two headlamps total, the car now has four. I've noticed that whenever my lights are on (normal low beams), there is faint light coming from my high beams as well. A friend of mine rewired the front, but it didn't take care of the issue. Now I'm just wondering where to go from here. Where else could the issue be?

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Welcome, from Texas. I don't have an answer to your problem, but I am sure someone here can help.

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The friend who tried to help with the wiring made this post on another site. It has more information in it, so I figured it would help you guys in helping me:

i'm working on a friends 79 el camino that has had the monte carlo front end installed on it, so it has gone from single headlights to the dual. whoever did the wiring really sucked at it (wires with multiple butt connectors, shoddy grounds, etc) so today i ripped it all out and completely rewired the headlights according to the 84 monte carlo diagram,the only difference between the two is that the additional high beams are simply spliced into the high side on the high/low beams

problem is that the high beams (the inside lights) glow dimly when the low beams are on

All of the grounds are good, and I changed the wiring slightly so that the high/low beams have their own ground. I did check the dimmer switch, and its not feeding additional power out through the high beam side.

the high beams only stop glowing when both of the high/low beams are unplugged.

You guys have any advice?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
It's really not that hard to do. You need to start from the orignal single headlight wiring. There should be 3 wires. The black is a ground, that goes to any screw on the radiator support for ground. One of the other wires will have 12Volts when the low beams are on and the other will only have 12Volts when the high beams are on. Your quad low beam headlights will each use 3 wires. The Hot for the low beams goes to each low beam along with a ground wire and the hot lead for the high beams. Then the hot lead for the high beams and a ground wire go to each high beam. You can run all the ground wires to one lead and then ground that. Each ground wire does not have to be screwed to the radiator support.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I would make a jumper ground and try it to verify the existing ground(s) are OK...

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
In that pic it does look like a bad ground.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
/\ X2 double check how you have the grounds wired. The low beam is grounding through the high beam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts