El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new here, but I did a thorough search before posting my seemingly unique problem. I recently purchased a 1979 El Camino Conquista. When purchased, headlights worked fine. Now, however, an interesting problem has developed. When headlight switch is turned on, headlights either work (rare) OR the following happens: NO headlights, YES side indicators and turn signal/parking lights. LEFT turn signal dash indicator light turns on as well as BRIGHTS indicator on instrument panel. Pulling the brights lever on/off does nothing. Neither TURN SIGNAL works, yet EMERGENCY FLASHERS work fine on all sides, unless brakes are applied, in which case they stay engaged, but stop blinking.

Here are the steps I have taken:

1) Changed Left Turn signal bulb (it was out, works fine now)
2) Changed out Headlight Switch
3) Checked/Changed fuses - there were incorrect voltages in numerous places, many of the labels are worn off and fuse box does not line up with corresponding diagram (eek)
4) Changed both Hazard and Turn Signal Flasher Switches

HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
It sounds like you have the classic "I lost ground somewhere" scenario.
Behind the head lights on the core support you will find two small black wires. Take them loose and clean the metal on everything, install a star washer. Under the dash just above the e-brake pedal is a bolt with a 10mm head that has some more black wires going to it. Take it loose and perform the same procedure. Check the wire coming off the Negative battery cable to the core support. There should be a ground strap from the rear of the passenger side head to the firewall. Behind the rear bumper you will also need to clean the ground connection.
If you can find all those and make sure they have good connections your problem will probably be fixed. HTH

Welcome to ECC by the way. Good luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You could actually check the lever which works the turn signals. That happened to me once and I ended up having to change the thing. Check it and the connection on top of the steering column too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After sleeping on it one more night, I had come to the same conclusions about checking grounds and/or turn signal arm. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the equipment with me to deal with even minor wiring issues so I guess I'll have to take it in to someone who does. I'll pass along the wisdom and thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had the same/similar problem with the 79....fixed by adding a ground wire to the passesnger side parking light.

·
Banned
881 Posts
When headlight switch is turned on, headlights either work (rare) OR the following happens: NO headlights, YES side indicators and turn signal/parking lights. LEFT turn signal dash indicator light turns on as well as BRIGHTS indicator on instrument panel.
Sounds like you've lost the ground connection for the headlights and the high beam indicator on the dash is providing the ground through the filaments of the headlights.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my 79 there is a small ground that attaches to the inner portion of the rear bumper in the center .
This disconnected really mess up the lights .
Perhaps there is one one the front also?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts