El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a silly question. I recently cleaned up my engine compartment. Got rid of all the computer control. Also went aftermarket gauges so no need for any wiring going to the gauge pod. So the question is this. Do I need the wires that attach to the top plug in to the alternator? Or do I just need the one from the post to the Battery? Just trying to clean up the engine bay further.:smileyb:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes,,
unless you change to a 1 wire alternator, but there less efficient at controlling the voltage..
heres some reading
http://madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

:texas:
Thank you for the read. What it looks like according to the read is that the two wires are for the dash and or gauge. I do not need those any longer as I have gotten rid of the light in the dash. so I can get rid of them right? From what I can tell they are not needed to charge the battery right?

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
yes you do need them. imo
you can wire it differently, but sometimes it doesn't work as good..

the small wire is hot from the key on,, it turns on the alt, so it doesn't draw power all the time.
without it the alt would not charge..

you can get rid of the alt/charge light but you still need the wire,,
sometimes when you do it will back feed and the motor wont turn off with the key..

One of the two flat blade terminals is wired to an ignition switched ON/OFF source, and this circuit can also be used to operate a dash mounted warning light (The warning light is an option, not a requirement).
the big wire is the sensing wire, without it
the alt wont know how much power to make to keep the batt evenly charged..

The other of the two voltage regulator terminals is the voltage-sensing terminal, and through this terminal the voltage regulator will monitor electrical system voltage and make adjustments to the alternator output in effort to keep system voltage at about 14.2 volts.
you can power the volt gauge from almost any place, it normally gets power from the gauge fuse..
it does not connect to the alt..

:texas:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you JJ for the clarification. I will run them through a nice looking wire sleeve. Nice to learn new things all the time on here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts