El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 81 El Camino and I’m looking to get some carburetor work done I have the original 305 v8 and will be upgrading the engine and tranny soon sometime at the end of next year would it be best to rebuild the carburetor or get a new one now or wait till I upgrade the engine and transmission? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure at this time I’m hearing a few different things with carburetor upgrades.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes indeed have you heard of HFI a my be saying that wrong but it’s a different component then the old school style carburetor where it’s like a computer on it?

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Possibly you are speaking of Holley EFI.

Here is a sample of one of their pages and a cut and paste

"
This part is legal for sale and use on Uncontrolled (Non-Emissions Controlled) Vehicles and Racing Use Only Vehicles.

The following vehicles are considered Uncontrolled (Non-Emissions Controlled) Vehicles:

• 1965 and older U.S. manufactured California Certified vehicles
  • 1967 and older U.S. manufactured Federally Certified vehicles
  • 1967 and older Foreign manufactured vehicle
The following vehicles are considered Racing Use Only Vehicles:

• Racing Use Only Vehicles are vehicles that are used exclusively for competition and that are not registered and that may never be used on the street
WARNING: It is against the law to install this part on an Emissions Controlled Vehicleo_O
:eek:
The following vehicles are considered Emissions Controlled Vehicles:

• 1966 and newer U.S. manufactured California Certified vehicles
  • 1968 and newer U.S. manufactured Federally Certified vehicles
  • 1968 and newer Foreign manufactured vehicle"

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
The best thing for your "Have you heard of HFI" thoughts would be to post a link to the product , especially one that includes thee CARB Executive Order EO#.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Two thoughts on carburetors. (1) The best bang for the buck will be a properly rebuilt Quadrajet. If you know for sure that you’re doing an engine swap, I’d suggest contacting Mountain Man or another well respected rebuilders (Cliff Ruggles, Mark at Quadrajet Power). Have an idea what cam, converter, and how you’ll use it. (2) Don’t buy a rebuilt unit from a parts store; they’re all junk. The warranty is irrelevant. Also, if you buy an aftermarket, they’re not plug and play. Edelbrocks are often very rich and will waste fuel and stink if you don’t rejet them. Holleys are great for racing but overkill for the street.
If you search on here, the best and most common advice is run a non-computer Qjet and a GM HEI with a professionally set curve and vacuum advance. Good quality Delco ignition components, new battery cables, and don’t forget the engine ground strap.
Patrick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback, not sure the specs, and Honestly not quit sure it’s a carburetor problem entirely. Looking for a good mechanic that knows old school Classics. Along with the continuous help and support from this community I’ll get it at tiptop shape in no time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts