El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new clips for my windshield trim and never had so much trouble getting the trim pieces to snap over the clips. I even dented a place trying to force it over the ridge in one place. Is there a technique to this,that I'm not aware of? Thanks for any help!

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Not really. Assuming you have the right clips and they are fully seated on the pin that holds them and there isn't a lot of debris in there preventing the molding from fitting. Just lay the top edge of the molding over the clip and slap it down with the heel of your hand. Sometimes the edge of the molding is a little distorted from prior removal, but you can rework the edge.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Did you use new clips? If so were they the plastice ones? If so, throw them away and go to Napa and buy the metal ones. They come in a pack of 10 for $5.00. You will need two bags. They will work perfect. Take it from from someone who did it.

·
2,566 Posts
If you have an old metal clip take it along to match it up. GM used a few different clips that all look alike. Sometimes the front and rears are slightly different heights and hard to tell unless you have them side by side. So maybe the clips you bought are too short? Is the molding flush to the roof edge or does it sit too high or too low?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use new clips? If so were they the plastice ones? If so, throw them away and go to Napa and buy the metal ones. They come in a pack of 10 for $5.00. You will need two bags. They will work perfect. Take it from from someone who did it.
Yeh, new clips from gmclassicparts.com I got front and rear window clips. The rear trim went on fine but, I have bruised my hand badly enough on the front clips. They could be just fat enough to keep the lip from slipping over the clip. Gotta be something to this. I've done this many times over the past few decades without this problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have an old metal clip take it along to match it up. GM used a few different clips that all look alike. Sometimes the front and rears are slightly different heights and hard to tell unless you have them side by side. So maybe the clips you bought are too short? Is the molding flush to the roof edge or does it sit too high or too low?
You know? Mine didn't have metal clips but, I have had chevys in the past that DID have and, I know exactly the ones you're referring to. I'll give those a try. I'm 99.9% certain that will fix my problem.

Thank you guys for the help.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yeh, new clips from gmclassicparts.com I got front and rear window clips. The rear trim went on fine but, I have bruised my hand badly enough on the front clips. They could be just fat enough to keep the lip from slipping over the clip. Gotta be something to this. I've done this many times over the past few decades without this problem.
I also bought that kit from gmclassiccars off ebay. The backs worked fine. The fronts were no good. I took an old metal clip that I saved and went to napa and they had them hanging on the shelf. I actually did a post last year with the actual part number about these clips.

·
Registered
449 Posts

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=42768&highlight=windshield+clips

read this one. This is my original post with the Napa part number.

·
2,566 Posts
That's what I'm saying! Fronts and rears are different. They look the same but.....
You should be able to find these at your auto body supply. They should have a display of clips hanging on the wall. If you don't see any just ask. Sometimes they have the display in a fold out suitcase they keep behind the counter. Oh and they'll be much cheaper than what you're buying from the other places.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I'm saying! Fronts and rears are different. They look the same but.....
You should be able to find these at your auto body supply. They should have a display of clips hanging on the wall. If you don't see any just ask. Sometimes they have the display in a fold out suitcase they keep behind the counter. Oh and they'll be much cheaper than what you're buying from the other places.

Thanks for your help as well. If our NAPA store doesn't have the metal ones, I'll check with our paint supply store.

·
Registered
6 Posts
windshield trim clips

Same song, second verse, bought the plastic front and rear from GM Classic parts. rears worked fine front did not work at all. I took your advice and went to NAPA, I ordered online and picked them up at the store the next day, no shipping, about 10 bucks for two bags of 10. Took about 10 minutes to snap the chrome on with these clips and it is good and tight! thanks for this tip. P.S. before you beat the crap out of your trim, go to NAPA!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts