El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can use 82-89 camaro mirrors on a 78-87 el camino. They sure look the same as the mirror used on 86 87 el camino.I wonder if just the mounting pads are different?

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Yes you can. I have a set of 92 Camaro electric mirrors on my Elky. The pads are the only difference.

·
Banned
881 Posts
I remember looking at a set in the junkyard not too long ago. I seem to remember that the remote adjustment cable was too short to fit in the El Camino door panel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any Idea where I could get a set of pads?I will check with chevrolet but I bet they are obsolete.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Check with Dave at www.laureneng.com he makes them himself from molds that he made from an original set. I could find no one else that had them. I think they have been out of production for a while.

And I believe that Ernie is correct in the mechanical cables being too short if you were planing on setting them up. You could use the old fingers pushing on the mirrors to adjust them if you wanted to.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Poltergeist said:
The pads are the only difference.
Also true between the Monte and El Camino. The new ones I'd gotten for my passenger side remote swap were different than my orginal...just another little fun fact.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
nowukno said:
i thought if you used camaro mirrors on an elky they would bow out too much because of the difference in door geometry..
The mirrors made during these years were all the same, that I can tell. The only difference is the plastic mounting pad used for each door style. Makes sense from a manufacturers point of view. Make one mirror case and use it on multiple cars and just change a 50 cent piece of plastic. I took a look at the pictures that I've take since getting it home but really don't have that give a good view. But the bottom of the mirror is level.

This is the best one I could find.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys,I will use the Electric mirrors that I scored from a camaro,I may have a line on a set of pads but if that falls through I will contact Dave. Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts