El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1982 El Camino
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, before I get started I'd like to give a thank you in advance to all members who view this thread and offer their input/expertise on the matter. I really appreciate it.

So here is the conundrum. I'm helping a buddy rebuild his 82' Camino and we're at the wiring stage. Right now in particular the wiring of the doors which includes the power windows and locks. My buddy bought a 78' Caballero as a donor car and took the doors off and put them on his Camino because they were in much better condition but the Camino came stock without power windows/locks. I took the wiring harness out of the Caballero yesterday only to discover the shoddy electrical of who knows how many previous owners. Splices of up to 10 wires under one solder joint. Bundles of wire melted and fused together. A hole melted through the fuse box about the size of a beer cap. It's garbage.

Just so everyone knows before posting my buddy is looking for simple and functional. This is no show car. He just wants to roll his windows down.

So here is what I'm thinking and what I need input on.

A dedicated circuit right off the battery for the window motors.

• Wire on a ring terminal from the battery post with an inline fuse through the firewall
  • Wire goes to 2 momentary double pole-double throw toggle switches (like a normal window switch type situation) on the drivers door skin or left side of the steering wheel on the dash
  • Wires go to window motors and magic happens
Now I've watched some videos and done some reading and I think this is a simple solution (for us anyway). What do you guys think?

Things I don't know/need to find:

• Combined current draw of both motors so they can be operated at same time. I have to size the wire, inline fuse and toggle switches to handle the current draw so nothing gets fried.
  • Find a ring terminal to fit on the battery post if ring terminals that diameter even exist. I've never seen one. What kind of hardware exists for something like this?
  • Recommendation for automotive rated wire for engine compartments-insulation type- I'm thinking it should have a high heat rating as well as be oil/gas resistant
  • Best technique to feed wires through the firewall without ripping the insulation apart
If there is a simpler solution I'd love to know about it.

That's the windows challenge and then there's the locks challenge. We were hoping we could do away with wiring and just do manual locks. I think it's just a matter of reinstalling the guts in the doors for the locks and that's the end of it. I hope...

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,622 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem with any of these requirements. There have been a few members who have grabbed the modules from cars that support auto-down features and installed for both windows. They have also installed 2 more modules so that they can also get an auto-up feature.
If you do a quick search thru the forums here you should find a reference to the pats and work needed. Unfortunately, I'm not an electrician and never did this install (yet) and haven't read those threads in a while.

·
Registered
1979 El Camino (yellow), 1979 El Camino (blue)
132 Posts
Here's what I did. I built these harnesses last year, but the project car still isn't in a state where I can install them, so they aren't in the car yet. I bought stock driver and passenger window switches, and window motors, and motor connectors. I think they all came from Amazon. The only thing I couldn't buy new was the window switch connectors, so I bought used off eBay. But sounds like you already have those?

I used a wiring diagram from this thread (CUTLASS - Power Window wiring diagram adding relays to speed up the window motors) and used two relays for each side. I built a harness for each side, which I will install in each door. Each harness has four wires: red, black, blue, grey. The red (power) and black (ground) wires will go into the fuse block under the dash, or in your scenario, straight to the battery. The blue and grey wires from each harness connect to each other, so that the drivers side can control the passenger window, but not vice versa. The first pic is passenger side, the second is driver side with the double switch.

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Wire Event
Sand Font Asphalt Soil Wire

I also did a harness for power door locks, with a remote fob. I'm a little embarrassed that I don't quite remember the details of it, but hopefully I'll figure it out when I install it. The wireless box has relays inside it, and I believe the door lock switches go into the wireless box, which then actuates the door locks. Or if you use the remote fob, the wireless box actuates the door locks. I got the actuators and connectors and door locks switches from I think Rock Auto. And the wireless box was cheap on Amazon.
Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cable Gas
Vertebrate Mammal Wall Asphalt Gas

·
Registered
1982 El Camino
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I did. I built these harnesses last year, but the project car still isn't in a state where I can install them, so they aren't in the car yet. I bought stock driver and passenger window switches, and window motors, and motor connectors. I think they all came from Amazon. The only thing I couldn't buy new was the window switch connectors, so I bought used off eBay. But sounds like you already have those?

I used a wiring diagram from this thread (CUTLASS - Power Window wiring diagram adding relays to speed up the window motors) and used two relays for each side. I built a harness for each side, which I will install in each door. Each harness has four wires: red, black, blue, grey. The red (power) and black (ground) wires will go into the fuse block under the dash, or in your scenario, straight to the battery. The blue and grey wires from each harness connect to each other, so that the drivers side can control the passenger window, but not vice versa. The first pic is passenger side, the second is driver side with the double switch.

View attachment 149323 View attachment 149324

I also did a harness for power door locks, with a remote fob. I'm a little embarrassed that I don't quite remember the details of it, but hopefully I'll figure it out when I install it. The wireless box has relays inside it, and I believe the door lock switches go into the wireless box, which then actuates the door locks. Or if you use the remote fob, the wireless box actuates the door locks. I got the actuators and connectors and door locks switches from I think Rock Auto. And the wireless box was cheap on Amazon.
View attachment 149325 View attachment 149326
Nice work. That's some proper neat wiring. The way it's supposed to be done.

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
I suggest you use relays to do the reversing of the polarity for up and down. Same set up can be used for the locks

·
Registered
1982 El Camino
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

View attachment 149323 View attachment 149324

View attachment 149325 View attachment 149326
Are your relays the things labelled up and down? What type did you use? I have the OEM window switches as well as the connectors for them. The connectors have wires that have been severed though. I'm not sure the ends come out. How will you wire the red and black into the fuse block? I've seen what the back side of it looks like. How do you connect a wire there?

·
Registered
1982 El Camino
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suggest you use relays to do the reversing of the polarity for up and down. Same set up can be used for the locks
I'd like to go the same route as dlwilson with this. I just have to find out which type of relays to use and then go get em'. I can get OEM style connectors on Amazon if I can't salvage the connectors I have. Have to try pulling these severed wires out. The diagram he linked in his post is pretty easy to follow and then take the wires to the fuse block instead of through the firewall to the battery.

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts