El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any issues swapping a header panel from an 82 onto a 79? Are there any differences between non-SS header panels from 82 to 87?

Also, what vehicles have similar front bumpers? (Boos? Boo Wagons?) I'm looking to make something custom, and I would rather not ruin the perfectly good bumper on my 79 SS.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
I haven't researched this myself but other then the trim pieces you're going to need to do a little wiring. 4 headlights vs 2, connectors for the 'newer' park and turn lights, etc. Nothing like heart surgery but a few small things that will need to be done.

Can't help on the bumpers. I'm just good at taking them off and putting on fiberglass ones. :p

·
Banned
881 Posts
Would there be any issues swapping a header panel from an 82 onto a 79?
The 82 and up have the front marker lights in the fender. The 79 has the front marker lights in the header panel. You'll need to use the 82 and up wiring harness.

Are there any differences between non-SS header panels from 82 to 87?
No. Everything is the same.

Also, what vehicles have similar front bumpers? (Boos? Boo Wagons?)
Those and of course Caballeros too.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. I'm going to make a custom phantom grill and triple round headlight setup (to match the street scoop & tail lights) so the trim & lamps are not an issue.

Poltergeist how did those fiberglass bumpers work out? I don't have the extra $250 to get the tucked one I like, so I'll try to make my own out of a smooth steel bumper (like the one in 87ElCamino's picture).

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The front came out Ok. I finally have the last of the parts I need for the rear bumper so I can start working on that. I'm using an Impala license plate flip down gizmo. The Imps use it to get to their gas tanks. I'm going to use it to get to the hitch I'm going to put on the Elky. Room is tight on the new bumper for this but I found some bolts that are lights also for holding the license on and lighting it. Maybe this weekend I'll get the bumper on and then I can get some prices on the body and paint work. I just don't trust myself on that stuff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Body work's easy, and 9 times out of 10 you'll do a beter job then the body shop will. I'm afraid to start stripping my El when I get home, when we filled in my LP, I kid you not, there was over 1/4" of body filler on the tailgate.

Paint, on the other hand, I'll leave to the professionals. Just don't skimp on the materials, because you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
ASU Camino said:
Body work's easy, and 9 times out of 10 you'll do a beter job then the body shop will. ........... Just don't skimp on the materials, because you get what you pay for.
Body work is only easy if you have the right tools and then it is not that easy but it turns out way better than without them. That has generally been my experience anyway.

If you find the right shop and the right guys then they can really do a fantastic job, some of them. A great paint job is a lot of money or time or both. If you get that talent and they really want the chance to show off then some will really cut a deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts