El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 'Meeno
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time G Body owner; in fact, I was joking with my neighbour that this is the first V8 I have ever owned! Been wrenching for about 15 years (never did anything more than change my oil before age 30) mostly on 70's Japanese motorcycles and VW's and decided it was time for a new project. This elky was about 10 minutes from our house so my neighbor and I thought it would be a fun project to clean up and put some fresh paint on, drive it around for a bit then pass it on to someone else to enjoy.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress pics.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Post up some more pics when you get a chance. As I'm sure you saw from your other post on here there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here to help you get that Elco of yours running great.

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
Great looking project. A great find. Have fun and enjoy it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey lumbee, welcome to ECC from Seattle, Wa. '78 Caballero and '79 El Camino.
Looks like a nice, straight cruck. Good find. Have fun, and ask a lot of questions.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hi lumbee, welcome to ECC. Maybe you will want to keep it after you finish getting it back in shape. There is a lot to love about owning a sweet El Camino. Check with other owners in your area and enjoy the comraderie. Do keep us updated on your progress.

Reactions: lumbee

·
Registered
82 'Meeno
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK, first job under my belt. Rusted out drivers side floor panel replaced.

Here is the damage:

Cut it out:

Patch panel (couple bucks from the metal scrap hard 🤑 ):

Mostly done:

Probably drop a few more tacks, but I'm calling this good 'nuf. I'll seam seal it and coat the underside with rubber coating.

·
Registered
82 'Meeno
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
You have very good skills. Nice work.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
And...........more than a few tools. Keep us posted with progress pictures.
R/T

·
Registered
882 Posts
How will you blend it into the hood?
R/T

·
Registered
82 'Meeno
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How will you blend it into the hood?
R/T
I'm using clecos to hold it down. You can see them in the picture if you look closely. It does not want to follow the curve of the hood, there is a good inch to inch and a half curve from top to bottom, but there is a 1.5" lip/flange on the cowl that give you enough wiggle rooms so you have a nice snug fit.

Still can't decide if I want to weld or bond. That bonding agent is 40 bucks...plus you need a special applicator/gun that's another $70. Hate buying a tool like this for something I may only do one time. :cautious:

·
Registered
82 'Meeno
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on the cowl work. To fill in the dead space on the backside of the cowl I decided to go with a few gagues. The previous owner had these jerry rigged on the underside of the interior dash, so I relocated them to the cowl. I've decided to go with the bonding agent rather than welding. I'll post a pic or two and let you know how that process goes.

·
Registered
82 'Meeno
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Freshened up the stock wheels a bit. Hoping to lay some paint on the body later this week.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Looking good. You are man with many talents.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts