El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:
This just happened this morning with stock headlights, taillights and no electrical mods done in the past year.
The lights didn't suddenly turn off when I started the car: they never turned on.

Don’t work: Parking Lights and Headlights and Dash Lights
Do work: Brake Lights – Turn Signals

Open the door dome light works, pull the headlight switch and dome light goes off, push in the headlight switch and dome light remains off.
Fuses are fine.

What should I check?
The Headlight switch and Dimmer switch have been replaced about 8 -12 months ago.
Thank you for your help (as usual)!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always appreciate the help.

Will work on things this PM.

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
Check the fusible links coming off the starter battery terminal. check them visually first to see if any of the insulation looks swollen or partially melted. Pull on them and see if one of them feels stretchy. they are designed to burn into internally and leave the insulation. One feeds the ignition and etc. and the other feeds the headlights the best I remember without checking the schematic.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do 464elky and JJLT1

I'll check the fusible links and any suggestions on the replacement gauge? The lights work for now, but I need to do some PM. After all, it's 30 this year.
FYI - I bought an Autozone switch which is made by Wells with limited lifetime. Wells is one of few nicely priced manufacturers that make a distributor cap with brass contacts for the 6 cyl Syclone.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
wells is a name brand but they do use a lot of china crap.i have taken 2 light switches for my camaro back to them.i would look at it first,mine kept losing the dash lights though,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts