El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of an 83 Caballero, with a problem:

When key is turned to "run" none of the indicators come on (Temp, Oil, Engine, etc..).

After engine start the Choke/Oil red light stays on.
(by the way what exactly does a Choke/Oil lamp indicate?)

Engine runs great (231ci).

I understand that a temporary ground is placed to test all fault lamps via the ECM. I verified all bulbs good.

I suspect wiring, but could it also be the ECM unit at fault?

I am waiting on a shop manual to check completely, but wondered if anyone had any advice in the mean time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ECM issue

Sometimes an ECM will "lose its place" and must be reset. When this happens, a single ECM function or multiple functions can be involved while all the rest are OK. If the ECM is working properly, it can be reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for three minutes (I think it is three minutes), but to be sure, wait for a few more minutes before reconnecting the battery.

This is step one in diagnosing/solving your problem because it is quick, easy, inexpensive and will be necessary anyway as you get more involved.

Good luck.

·
Banned
881 Posts
8T3GMC said:
After engine start the Choke/Oil red light stays on.
(by the way what exactly does a Choke/Oil lamp indicate?)
It sounds like you have an open circut for the choke. The 12V for the carburetor choke coil goes through an oil pressure switch. When you turn on the ignition the light should come on. When you start the engine the oil pressure switch closes, sends 12V to the choke, and the light goes off. If the choke circut is open the choke/oil light stays on. Get a voltmeter and check for 12V at the choke wire when the engine is running. If you have 12V the choke coil is bad, if you don't have 12V then you have a problem with the oil pressure switch. It's located at the back of the intake next to the distributor.

:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I understand that a temporary ground is placed to test all fault lamps via the ECM. I verified all bulbs good.
Bulb test is a function of the ignition switch and has nothing to do with the ECM. You either have a bad ign switch, wiring problem, or more than likely, a printed circuit problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts