El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My 83 is leaking coolant today. It seems to be coming from the rear of the engine somewhere, but I can't see it right now. It's friggin' hot and I'm not about to cook to identify it yet.

Any ideas on what I should look for? I drove it to the store today and back, parked it and when I went back out to the garage, there's a small river of antifreeze running out from the rear of the engine. I'm afraid it's going to be the head gasket, but any other ideas for me to look for?

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Two freeze plugs in the back end of the block, could be the source of the leak, or maybe even the back end of the intake manifold. There are water passages in the block under the intake back there, which aren't used. Just the front passages are used in the cross-over & thermostat housing etc. Get a look at the rear of the engine, just behind the distributor, where the manifold sits on the heads, and if no leaks shown, it may be in the back of the block, which will require removing the transmission and the flex plate, to get at it, (or them)
It's usually oily enough back there that those plugs don't rust through, so look around good before getting it apart.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
x2 if its dripping off the sides like the oil filter or the starter??
check the manifold and the freeze plugs in the back on the sides..
if it dripping from the torqconverter dust shield?? check the rear freeze plugs..:texas:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll get under it later today I hope and get a look at things. If it is the freeze plugs, how much work is involved in replacing those? I'm not an engine guy at all, but I'm learning.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a freeze plug located just above the starter where it's mounted? It appears the leak is coming from that general area, as it's leaking down off of the starter motor, but of course, I can't get a good angle because of the exhaust manifold on top and the starter on the bottom.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
yes there is a freez plug behind the starter,,jack it up and pull the front wheel,,look in thru there.. use a jackstand..
check the back of the intake real good also..
or pull the starter (disconect battery) and check it..

if it is a freeze plug?? replace it with brass ones..
getting the old one out is harder than driving the new one in,, if you can get to it..

i usually take it as a sign and replace them all,,pull the motor and do all the PITA stuff,,
pan gasket,,front/rear seals,,timing chain,,lower hose,, ...

and while its out i might as well throw a new cam and lifters in there,, think of it as an opertunity..:texas:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JJ. I'll try pulling that wheel off and getting a better look at things as soon as I can. I don't know about replacing a cam or lifters, I'll have to look into that though.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wish I had replaced all of my freeze plugs when I had my first one go but I didn't and ended up going through a nightmare every time one went.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts