El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my '84 back from the mechanic, and when I went to open the glove box, it near fell off spilling the contents of the box in the passenger foot well. Turns out the retention cable was not connected to the box. It looks like they may have at some point dissassembled the glove box and lost the little captive bolt or clip that the screw at the end of the cable connects to. I searched all around the cab of the truck, but I couldn't find the missing part. Has this happened to anyone else? What would be a good replacement for that clip or bolt? Preferably one that would work without modification of the glove box.

Attachments

·
Master Dipstick
544 Posts
Brian, On my 83 the flat part at the end of the cable slips in an elongated hole in the plastic below the hole for screw. Then insert the screw through the hole in the glove box into the retainer/ flat part at the end of the cable. Hope this helps / makes sence.... I cant get a picture posted till later.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
as stated above the cable end is the clip you are looking for.look at your glove box edge near the top right rear corner you will see where it goes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, you guys are so right. Thanks for posting, I was going crazy. Now that you say that, I do remember it being that way. I guess the mechanic just didn't put it back together the way he found it.
Thanks again! :hail2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Look in some wrecked 84 to 87 Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix or Regals. They had a neat little hook shaped clip instead of that cable thats hard to replace. Just pop rivet it in or use small screws. My next trrip to Pic A Part, one of them is on my search list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts