El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have my local body shop repair some rust in the bed of my '84 that is right next to the right wheel well, but I was wondering if this is a common problem and if I could give any tips to the body shop guy as to what he may find. Any insight or experience with this would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
To bad your not here in Texas,have a complete bed not rusted out,no front end just wheels and bed,come drag it home :beer::texas:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean that I should remove the spray on bed liner? I still occasionally put stuff in the back, so I didn't want to eliminate that. Is there a concern with the bed liners causing rust, or is it the fact that they can make the rust harder to detect?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If you think about it that is a ogical place for rust. Water flimgs up on the tires from the streets and it probably started rusting from the bottom of the bed and worked its way up. Once you get it fixed rhynoline or undercoat your wheel wells!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that does make sense. Is there any other trouble places I should have them undercoat while they are at it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heard back from the body shop today. Looks like everything I wanted done is done, but during the process there was an accident that resulted in an impressive scratch on the driver's bedside.
They are going to fix it on their dime, so that's good. Downside is that it likely won't be until next week before I get it back. I've got to find that can of paint I had somewhere ...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Work is finished. Below are pictures of the result.
Lots of thanks to Bender Auto Body in Middleville for the good work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts