El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found similar Q & A on(maliburacing,etc) but it really didn't answer my questions. ok, sorry if this is a repeated question. I'll try and keep it simple. My 84 came originally with idiot lights and no clock. I still have my 84 pod w/#9 copper tab. Now, I'm installing a Pod from an 86 with all OEM gauges and RPM w/clock. when I pulled this pod I grabbed the plug to and it has the #9 black wire going into it. The question is, on my 86 pod, the circuit card #25016702 has no flat circuit copper tab for #9. On my OEM 84 plug #9 it represents a black wire for the ground for lights and fuel gauge. Is the connection a must or can I do without a #9 for the copper tab because the ground for lights/fuel gage on the circuit card are routed somewhere else? I was just trying to install the pod when I noticed this.(cant believe I missed that). its getting late and i'll continue to trouble shoot but just wanted your knowledge on this...thanks

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
You will need a wireing diagram for both years to see what wires have to be relocated in the plug harness and what sensors you may need to change out on motor. It's not as simple as plug n play.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that you mention it,I recall somewhere on here that somebody posted those wiring diagrams for all years. but yeah, I have a cheat book on the 84 wires, their colors and where they go from that pod plug as well as all the other wires going into the fuse box and coming out of the firewall, the engine is changed out to a LT1 so I did have to adjust to a 60 PSI oil pressure regulator, etc. but since both plugs, the one from the 84 and 86 had the same wires at the plug (both had no #14(choke) and I had to add #17 for the Tach) that missing #9 copper tab on the pod threw me off and I didn't notice it until i was ready to connect it into the plug.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I know why nobody could really respond to my question...Oops...got things backwards. let met try this again.

Problem: I have no flat #1 copper tab on my 1986 pod w/ all gauges circuit card (#25016702) that plug into my '84's #1(drk brown) plug which I have set up to go to my Altenator (for voltmeter).

I noticed on my '84's pod (w/idiots lights)"pic with my scribe" that the #1 tab goes to the pod idiot volt light(I think but can remember). Now back on the '86 pod..I used JB plastic weld to glue back the print board It came unglued...and now I cant really follow the flat copper wiring to well from the volt meter to see where that flat copper tab leads too. I hope I got this right this time, man I'm going brain dead (haha)..thanks

The plug pic as pictured ...top row 18-17-16-15-14-13-12-11-10
bottom row 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9
(never mind #14 its the choke but goes nowhere)
Tan pod is the one I'm installing (out of the 86) I'm point at #1 "missing" copper tab
Blue pod is my old one from my 84(scribe is point at #1 copper tab leading to (I think volt idiot light?
Tan pod is the full circuit card view

*** the plug that I took off when I got the '86's pod had no wires going to #1,#7 and #14
My original 84's plug had no wires going to #7,#14 and #17(now using for tach)

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
ToyinHawaii: did you figure this out and is your swap complete?

Steelybill: do you have both lights and gauges?

How big of a job is it to switch over from idiot lights to gauges? I suspect it isn't simply a matter of replacing the gauge setup. So, do I need to replace the harness, or both--engine compartment and under dash?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToyinHawaii: did you figure this out and is your swap complete?

Steelybill: do you have both lights and gauges?

How big of a job is it to switch over from idiot lights to gauges? I suspect it isn't simply a matter of replacing the gauge setup. So, do I need to replace the harness, or both--engine compartment and under dash?

No, not yet, I got side tracked this week but will take another look this weekend. Kinda looks like the volt meter is wired into the gauge cluster somewhere to get its voltage reading like around the tachometer instead of actually getting a reading off the alternator

·
Registered
409 Posts
Toyin, have you done your gauge swap/conversion yet? I recently got a hold of a dash with gauges and curious about how to remove the circuit board. My main concern is how to remove the square clips with the hole in the middle without damaging the circuit board?

Mahalo

·
Registered
328 Posts
, I'm installing a Pod from an 86 with all OEM gauges and RPM w/clock.

That statement to me is a little confusing as there where no 86 pods with the RPM w/clock combo that I am aware of. 85 and earlier there was.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sorry ECGuy2, I don't know nor didn't intend to cause confusion. I just want help with swapping circuit board. Right between the speedo and location where clock or tach mounts, there are 11 metal pieces with a hole in middle. They look like clips...probably contact points for something. My dilemma is it appears these pieces need to be removed in order to takeout the circuit. Am I wrong or not or what?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Does anyone know of a good DIY gauge swap checklist which includes part numbers? I've been collecting and buying the gauge pods in addition to both engine compartment and under dash harnesses.

On a recent trip to LA, I went to OPGI to purchase the printed circuit board (PCB) and was told there are 2 different instrument gauge clusters installed in 5th Gen G-bodies. The PCB needs to match a part number on the back of the gauge pod itself. The best way to describe the PCBs is one is long and narrow while the other is shorter and stubby. Just my luck, the short stubby one which I needed was out of stock.

In further querying the sales associate, I was told the sensors to support the engine coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges in the instrument cluster are different and need to be replaced when doing this swap/upgrade. Both sensors need to be able to send a variable signal rather than just on/off. Again, at OPGI, both were out of stock. Also, I suspect these sensors will require different pigtails.

My reason for seeking these part numbers is OPGI prices tend to be a little higher than other generic sources.

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts