El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to get original replacement battery cables for my 85 Elky at the Chevy dealer.

And GM has done it again.

Replacements look nothing like the originals and require splicing to the alternator lead for the hot wire.

Anyone know of someone who makes repro battery cables for the Elkys?? Or carries NOS originals?? OPG and NPD do not.

(I did not think these cars were old enough yet to require GM to be making 'generics'. Guess they have...and we know how GM beancounters like to meddle!! LOL...sorta!!)

Thanks!!

(This is also posted on the electrical topic forum.)

Taj

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I just get what they have at AutoZone or O'Reillys. All you really need to know is how long and what type of connection the battery has.

I was reading my service manusl looking for something else and happend across starter replacement procedure. GM Recomends that the Battery cable be replace anytime you replce the starter. I never knew that or did that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I have found out...

Everyone has wires that will work, but no one (as yet) has 'NOS-style' replacements. All require a splice to the lead to the alternator...which I would prefer not to do...as this can inject another possible fail point and/or resistance area...plus it's not original in appearance.

In NC, we do not have an O'Reilly's.

Oddly, the GM hot wire replacement is not even colored right at the battery mount: black, not red!! Guess that saves on costs too as they would be using black for both the negative and positive. In addition to non-stock in appearance, I see that as a serious potential safety hazard...for someone not paying attention and connecting to the battery backwards.

Pete, that's a good find about replacing the cables when a new starter is installed!! I had not thought of that but it makes very good sense!!

Has anyone ever dealt with a co in Ohio (no website; phone 513-451-1038) who specializes in 'authentic reproductions' of cables as well as batteries?? They make NCRS/Bloomington approved cables for Corvettes.

It appears Gen 5 of the Elkys are in that 'twilight zone' of stil having a good many parts available from GM (although not all 'NOS-style') and repros still ramoing up to fill the gaps left by GM.

Maybe wrongly, when I order a part form GM, my expectation is it is an exact duplicate of the original. That's not always a correct expectation...and, as GM works to control costs, I may be increasingly disappointed going forward.

(For the record, I work very hard to keep my 85 as original or NOS as possible. There are no mods to mine at all. I'm the original owner of this one.)

Thanks for the feedback!!

Taj

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The ground wire has a pig tail on mine but I don't recall seeing one on the positive. Maybe that is it, GM is just sending one cable to cover every situation, I don't know.

I can understand keeping things original. I am not much into that with mine but I didn't buy them new either. Who knows who has had their hands in any of mine over the years.

But that is a dilemma

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, the hunt for NOS!!

Here's some info that may be helpful to others.

(Pete, my Elky has a pigtail off the neg ground post and off the positive hot post. The - pigtail goes to a mount on the inner fender in front of the coolant reservoir; the + pigtail goes to the alternator.)

AutoZone has a close approximation of the original...still have to splice to a wire to the alternator. I'm gonna use that on an interim basis until (see below)...I will fabricate a link from the pigtail to the alternator and NOT destroy my original (you'll see why in a minute).

I talked with Ac/Delco...not a lot of help there.

Got my GM parts man to get on the Locator. No dice.

Called the number in Ohio (Tom; 513-451-1038). Very helpful. He was not able to provide me a cable (although he is looking)...but he was able to provide hunting guidance.

He told me about American Wire and Factory Fit who make cables and wire harnesses (www.factoryfit.com; 1-856-933-0801; NJ toll-free). Although they specialize in 72-prior harnesses and cables, the guy I talked with (Skip), after we discuissed all facets of my original, seemed to think they could make one for me to match the original exactly...for about $35. All the questions he asked me were as if he was here looking at it...he knew every last detail!! He asked me to send him the original to see if this could be done...I am first sending digital pics and a full description to serve the same purpose faster...he will get those tomorrow morning. If I send in the original and they can not produce a replacement, they would send the original back to me.

While I have no hands-on experience with their harnesses, I have heard they some of the best...and (relatively) easy to install. They work very hard to match original specs...far harder than GM does. funny, it never occurred to me to contact them for battery cables!! LOL

Maybe some of this will be helpful to others going thorugh restorations on older Elkys.

Be well.

Taj

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10-4

10-4, 87SS.

Tom (Ohio) advertises in Hemmings but has no web site...covers most all makes. Knows AC/Delco stuff cold.

Taj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts