El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just the title says is what im after , has anyone tried this out?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
absolutely. But there is no baffling to help keep fuel at the pump. The 85< efi tank will fit and has the baffling. Recommend you go for both.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It will fit, but I would pick up an EFI tank with baffling. They aren't that expensive. I think mine was around $160 shipped.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks alot for the replys i preciate tha help

·
Supporting Member
4,415 Posts
For info, I have had both the baffled factory tank, the Spectra tank, and a stock tank on my FI setup. The factory worked best. The Spectra tank had issues with filling at the pump, so if you go that route be sure to add a vent ( do a search). They say they have fixed the issue, but I still read complaints on new shipments.
I've ben running the factory tank now for about 5 yrs. As long as you fill up at 1/4 tank, and don't do long sweeping high speed turns when you are low ( having fun on freeway on ramp:cool1: ), you should be fine.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we went with the 87' efi tank & pickup should be here next week i also forgot to mention we'll be using the Walbro GSL392 external inline high pressure pump as well.
Im doing this swap for a buddy , the car isnt actually mine i just wanted to see if i could do a swap on my own i wanted to learn how to for a long time

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Honestly that's a little bit of a detail you left out. You could fab up a fitting to bypass the in tank pump between the unit & the tank sock. But there is a reason factory's have in tank pumps::: they run cooler & more reliably.
There are Walbro, Holley & other in tank efi pumps easily available, such as those from F-body applications. Same size as the TBI pump the 85 sender was fit with. I think mid 80's tpi to ls1 applications are the same size. I've had a Holley one listed for tpi about 20 years now, running an LS1 since 2002.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you're saying just use like a Walbro 255 pump ? I need to back up a lil on my info, sorry ,You see ... i was going to use the orginal tank but the pick up only had 2 lines coming out so i was gonna have somebody braze an extra fitting on the orginal sender , Inlet , Outlet , Vent , so thats why we have the GSL392 but when i pulled the tank , It was trash. So i'll see if we can send the pump we have back hopefully

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
No doubt several different fuel systems could function, but even many aftermarket tank & fuel system suppliers will admit the factories spent a lot of money on research & have the most reliable setups for efi engines with mainly street use. High output high pressure pumps build up heat & having them at least being splashed by liquid helps. There are old threads in this section (Roger1 for instance) about heat issues with external pumps in hot climates.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we got the 87' tank & sender so im just going to stick a walbro 255 in there & call it good i hope

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
The Caprice/Roadmaster SW tank is the least expensive to get a complete factory set-up. Works great and even has quick disconnect pressure and return lines. Get the 3 strap Caprice/Roadmaster tank straps. Provides support under the center of the plastic tank. Another advantage is that the plastic tank will never rust, and is about 60% of the weight of the metal one. Just make sure you order a 1996 Pump module for the HP pump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts