El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
awhile back i cleaned up the back of my bed and found holes on both sides so i bondoed them up and they were fine for about a year.. now there back and it seems to be getting worst.. should i have a mechanic weld these piece of metal coming up back and just let it be or is this a more seirous problem here are pictures of each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Bondo's not a fix for rust, those spots will need to be cut out and welded up.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Any body shop can do this but for a small job like that I would find somebody that knows how to weld and have them make some patches and weld them in. Cost will vary greatly, a small welding shop near me charges $60 just to turn on the welder.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Rust doesn't go away or sleep but it will sneak around behind your back and if you're lucky you'll see it again before it does real damage.
You're going to need to remove some of that liner and find out how far the rust goes that you can't see and then determine how big of a patch you're going to need.You could fix this yourself if you have access to a mig welder and practice buttwelding on a piece of scrap.What you need to do is stitch weld it in,check on youtube for sheetmetal repair until you find the right video for your situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts