El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
you got a few posts out here on this, and one about your 350 mounted using the v6 mounting points....

Are you going to re mount your motor to the correct place? If not, then I guess I wonder what good the stock length of driveshaft will do for you. It kinda sounds like you will need a custom driveshaft made up for your cruck if you don't relocate your motor to the correct specs.

IMHO - I know, I know, free advice is worth what you paid for it... - just my 2cents

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I am not going to remount my engine to correct holes...
MY mesurments say i need a 59in driveshaft,,

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You would rather pay for a custom made drive shaft than mount the engine where it belongs?
So if your engine is mounted wrong that means your transmission mount doesn't fit the transmission either? Did you move the crossmember?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
2,566 Posts
Wait maybe I figured this out? You're mounting a 700r4 trans to your 350. So you're thinking that instead of needing a shorter driveshaft if the engine was mounted in the V8 mounting holes as everyone else with this combo had to cut down their shaft, you'd try the V6 holes thinking it all might fall into place?

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You would rather pay for a custom made drive shaft than mount the engine where it belongs?
So if your engine is mounted wrong that means your transmission mount doesn't fit the transmission either? Did you move the crossmember?
Build a Custom Crossmember Already

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait maybe I figured this out? You're mounting a 700r4 trans to your 350. So you're thinking that instead of needing a shorter driveshaft if the engine was mounted in the V8 mounting holes as everyone else with this combo had to cut down their shaft, you'd try the V6 holes thinking it all might fall into place?[/

Bought a 86 el camino with a 350 resently swaped in without transmission. I add a 700r4 transmission and a Custom Crossmember. Then Tryed to add Drive shaft and it was to short BECAUSE previous owner put engine in wrong mounting holes the v6 mounting holes not v8 Holes... JUST MY LUCK!!!

·
2,566 Posts
So where is the engine now compared to where it should be? Too far forward or too close to the firewall? You checked everything else I guess? Like the distributor isn't hitting the firewall and the fan isn't too close to the radiator? Belts aren't hitting the shroud? etc, etc...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Measure the driveshaft you got and someone will get back to you with the length of a stock driveshaft. You could have the wrong one.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Tuggy???? Vary funay!

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So where is the engine now compared to where it should be? Too far forward or too close to the firewall? You checked everything else I guess? Like the distributor isn't hitting the firewall and the fan isn't too close to the radiator? Belts aren't hitting the shroud? etc, etc...
BOBBY 78 The Distributer is not hitting the fire wall it has clearence. but the fan is hitting hitting the fan shroud

·
2,566 Posts
The fan should fit inside the shroud. Do you have enough room to the radiator? You might be able to move the shroud around to get clearance. If it's hitting on one side check the radiator support. It might need to moved over a bit. The easiest way to check radiator support for proper alignment is the gap around the hood. Both fenders should have even spacing. Then check the frame to radiator support spacing. This should be even too.
6.5 inches sounds like alot to add.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts