El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi thank you Louie!
Yes I meant the dipstick tube. And yes all this might be in vain if the transmission is no good. I know I could of changed the tail shaft to the shorter one but I couldn't find one. I was hoping to drive this before it snowed here. Haha. I will update better as I go much appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So I just wanted to make an update.
I have installed the driveshaft. I need to finish.
1 torque converter bolts.
2 find nut for transmission mount.
3 Install starter
4. Find exhaust gasket I found 1 at AutoZone they let me search the bin I matched up broken one.
5. Run vacuum line from transmission to intake?
(The th200 didn't have one)
6 Fill with transmission fluid. Use old fluid ?
7 light candles and chant that the transmission is good haha.

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
279 Posts
Congrats! Big stuff done. Rest small stuff,....(that will sometimes make u insane!!) Reusing/and changing old/used transmission fluid is preference based . " I " WOULD DEF RECCOMMEND USING OLD FLUID (IF GOOD). The older the trans,the more miles,and the longer the fluid has been in it regardless of miles,....dictates whether or not the trans will go into "shock" when changing fluid and failing. Make sure u use compatible fluid, nothing fancy or additives or stopleak. The trans seals are used to what's in it. Trans fluids are very different,even compatible fluid.I recomend talking to trans shop or.
" u tube " if interested or need more info. My best advice is,..if fluid is good, ( not burnt) filter and reuse to break trans in. After successful break in,If u want ,change fluid 1/3 at a time. With at least 200 miles between to allow seals to acclimate. Personally,if fluid good,no leaks, trans doing well,I would leave alone. Big,BIG DIFF between the fluid from then n now. IMPORTANT: CHANGE TRANS FILTER NOW WHILE ITS UP IN AIR AND UR UNDER IT. should have done this while trans was out cause easier and gives you a chance to inspect innards for wear/metal shavings in the daylight. This of course,like everything is optional/preference. But now or later when you know it works...it should be done.
, just as ,or more important than the fluid.
Rambled long enough now.. Congrats ,good luck.
P.s. what you mean by you You searched exhaust bin at AutoZone? Used bin? Old bin? Or the new stock?
P.p.s. must be getting cold as heck under that car already where u live...lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just remembered you mentioned a vacuum lune in new trans. Please research that,as it might be for the (trans control valve) or other important shift point control. And if you dont know what (trans shift control valve), research it.VERY IMPORTANT. Commonly called the kickdown cable,downshift,or detent cable. Its hooked up with the accelerator wire on carb. Proper adjustment CRUCIAL,or you will blow trans in couple miles.

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
Mia, The TH350 will not have a Throttle Valve (TV) cable to control the fluid pressure in the transmission, and that can affect shifting. TV valves and cables are on newer designed transmissions like the THM2004r and THM700r4. They are also on a few lesser known later transmissions and are very important to the health of those transmissions.

Your vacuum line runs to the THM350 vacuum modulator to communicate the load on the engine. It tells the transmission what kind of load is being put on it, allowing the transmission to react with the proper line pressures and shift points.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mia, The TH350 will not have a Throttle Valve (TV) cable to control the fluid pressure in the transmission, and that can affect shifting. TV valves and cables are on newer designed transmissions like the THM2004r and THM700r4. They are also on a few lesser known later transmissions and are very important to the health of those transmissions.

Your vacuum line runs to the THM350 vacuum modulator to communicate the load on the engine. It tells the transmission what kind of load is being put on it, allowing the transmission to react with the proper line pressures and shift points.
Great info for her, and very important to trans health. Im glad you explained that to her,cause I couldn't. But I knew it was important issue.
Question: where does the vac line from trans attach on engine? Is the vac modulator you mentioned on trans or engine side? And does she now have to get that part if it's on engine side? You mentioned the older trans have vac controlled shift points/ and newer ones have the cable and throttle valves in valve body.... So my question is,..how did each trans accomplish downshifting? I thought this was controlled by the t.v. cable? Am I correct to assume the th350 controls downshift by the vacuum difference? Or is there a cable?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok thank you for the clarification on the tv cable. I understand that instead of it downshifting when you get on it you can drop the transmission into second.
I'm not wanting to do that personally.
Ok update today I got a lot done but I couldn't hold the starter and put a bolt in I need another person to help me. I have the gaskets in for the headers. Just need the kickdown cable. I was going to change the filter possibly. Ok so I called summit on the advice of my friend And it didn't go so good lots of options.
I'm going to post some pics. I'll clarify after posting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just an update ! So I drove Ellie around for a few miles and when I got home to check her over I noticed the dipstick tube was leaking. I did put a oring on it but obviously wrong size. I ordered a new one . It felt so good to drive I can't wait! It's getting cold up here in Massachusetts and I want to drive before snow flies. I do need some small items. I ran a vacuum line from transmission to intake I want to use some steel tubing. And the detent cable I have blocked off for now until I find the right one. Thank you all for the great input you have no idea how important your feedback was!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Update So I installed the correct detent cable for my unknown year transmission. Part No K35951 Worked perfectly! FYI the detent hole is kinda odd its a .458 diameter hole. So I also had the weirdest rubbing noise underneath which was caused by the driveshaft rubbing on the exhaust support. It was caused by the transmission being 3 inches longer and the ujoint sits right below the bracket so i took it off and will have to modify it. Took it for a nice drive today!

Mia

21 - 37 of 37 Posts